Ford Forums banner

XG to XF instrument cluster conversion?

17K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mad_ea_spac 
G
#1 ·
Its' my understanding that the XG ute interior is basically an XF with an EB style, but XF shaped instrument cluster, everything else is the same it is only the cluster and the seats that is different. What i want to know, is can i put the XG cluster into my XF sedan? If you look at the picture below, you can clearly see that the shape of the cluster is exactly the same for XF and XG.

I can only see one problem with this conversion, i may have to get the speedo, tacho, odometer and gauges recalibrated to match up with the XF, but that shouldnt be much of a problem, should it?

If it can be done, then that would be an easy way of changing the awful 'right-angled' speedo/tacho and the bright green digital gauges in the XF to a more stylish and normal looking circle style cluster.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep it will work. i did this mod in my old XF s pack i had.

now you have to modify the wiring loom behind the cluster cauz the xf has different plugs to the xg. all the gauges will work but you will have to get a oil pressure sender for the oil gauge. also the fuel gauge requires a sender out of the xg ute aswell. the xf uses this stupid resistance thing mounted all in one. as the xg uses the float that rises up and down with the fuel level. i had to modify mine with big time cauz my xf was still running super not unleaded. i was told if it had of been unleaded i could of just swapped the tank from the xg. dunno if this is true or not.

but anyway it is a good mod to do but it just takes time and paitence. i think i still have the wiring diagrams somewhere too.

Tim

G
#5 ·
really? wow! sounds like a lot of work! I was just hoping it would just click into the original sockets but now I'm wondering if i will bother. Just one question though, How much did the conversion cost in the end, 'cause mine is running on leaded fuel as well.

#6 ·
i think it cost me about $400 all up.
but i bought a new surround that goes around the cluster the the switches go on and a new bracket for it ti screw into the xg dash.

but you could probably get every thing from a wreck now. when i did mine it was back about 4 years ago and there wasnt many xg's wrecked thats why i had to buy new parts

#8 ·
just to tell you that xg dash is exactly the same as my ea falcon s has

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.