XH Snorkel and K&N Filter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 07:58   #1 (permalink)
Krissy

confused XH Snorkel and K&N Filter

Ok so I've been reading all these threads on the XH Snorkel etc and I have a question.

I've got an Ea FGII. No extractors but 2.5 inch sports exhaust and that's it. It's just stock. So, if I go and change the Snorkel and Filter, what difference will it make to my car?

I mean, will I get a slightly better performance? Slightly better note? My husband says there'll be no difference? Is he right or just full of s*#t lol :o)
AU_Fairmont -S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 11:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: XH Snorkel and K&N Filter

Won't make any noticeable difference. Save your money for beer or something useful. :)

K&N filters might be high flow, but they also let more dirt into the top of the motor.

P.S. Husbands are always right.
Old 11-12-2003, 13:13   #3 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

a k&n filter is only worth around 3 kw,

running one with the xh snorkel will only realy see you gain 5 kw at most, but you get better fuel economy from it, so is worth while. also the initial purchace of the k&n will be off set by the fact you can re-use the k&n one (clean then re-oil).

you are better of getting a k&n pod and enclosing it in a custom made box with a cold air feed.

the filter is worth 3kw or so still but the drop in inlet temp is more noticable, more torque across the rev range (not a tyre frying gain but is noticable), and the rule of thumb is for every 10 degrees of inlet temps you drop, you gain 1 kw.

another option is to run a ef upper air box with a au lower air box, have the k&N filter inside running a au series 3 xr8 inlet snorkel, then run a 3 inch convoluted pipe from box to throttle body.

if you cant make it ur self get ur husband to do it i am sure he'd love the chance to tinker with your car. :)

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 16:30   #4 (permalink)

The XH snorkel and K&N filter was my first mod to an otherwise stock ED fairmont, It does make a noticable improvement in pickup, quicker acceleration and fuel economy. hell how could it not see below.

17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

6pAc|30nG|00n - Is that IceCream container, or some special high tech material you used there :p

Delloy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 21:56   #6 (permalink)
Krissy

Haha my husband aint' tinkering with nothin' !!!! He's a holden man - he'll find a way to turn the old girl into a Commodore for sure hehe. That beer idea sounds good

If I'm only gonna get 5kw out of it, do I bother??? Might get me quicker to the bottle shop for that beer though
Old 11-13-2003, 01:42   #7 (permalink)
Krissy

So looking at your pic (6pac) gotta cut away the old snorkel coz it's attached on that one side to the shroud then what? drill holes to keep the XH one in place? Why have you got that "special" plastic at the front?
Old 11-13-2003, 02:13   #8 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrwrx2000au

If I'm only gonna get 5kw out of it, do I bother??? Might get me quicker to the bottle shop for that beer though
yes its still worthwhile, dont worry about the 5kw gain, the most gain you'll experience is better fuel economy and more torque thru the rev range.

and hey, it wont cost you anymore then 150 bux anyways,and it'll pay for its self

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:50   #9 (permalink)

lol its not plastic it is aluminium to create a scoop, that would have to be the worst pic but it had the old scoop and new in it for comparison.

When the bonnet is closed it helps redirect air towards the snorkel as so.

17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:12   #10 (permalink)
Krissy

Lolllll sorry it looked like plastic. After I asked ya the question I was looking at the pic and figured it was probably for air re-direction.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech