XH Utes...is it worth getting a XR series?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2003, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

XH Utes...is it worth getting a XR series??

Hey All,

well the XF is starting to get on these days, and well ive always wanted a ute..so ive been looking at getting a XH ute!. Now my criteria is that it has to be a manual (sick of the slush boxes!!). Now looking through the trading post etc...ive seen that the standard XH utes (tradesman etc...) are not too expensive, while a XH XR6/XR8 ute commands a much higher price.

Is it worth paying the extra???

Any good/bad things about these utes?? I understand that they are based on the EF/EL front end, but still use the XF/XG style rear tray, doors and windscreen. What about the interior and instrument cluster..dont tell me they still use the XF style one in it!

Also the engine..it uses the EF/EL OHC six dosent it??

Thanks for any advice..

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

XH is more like an EF on the inside, with an airbag as an option.

As to paying extra for an XR6/8 - take one for a drive and compare both an XR to the standard XH. Personally, I'd go the XR8 with the 5sp. Remember, the advertised price is not always the going price. The cheapest XH XR6 I've seen was $14000, and that was 12 months ago.
Old 06-04-2003, 19:48   #3 (permalink)

XR is definately worth going for if you aren't carting heavy loads. The ride & handling is better, seats are better, cruise control is standard(I think), extra power. Only downside that I can think of is load carrying capacity.
Old 06-04-2003, 19:53   #4 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

The interior sadly in the XH's is very much the same as an XF, although the instrument cluster is the same as an EF/EL. I'd try to atleast get an S-Pack ute as they came with padded armrests on the doors (whooptydoo you say), and the XR series cluster. The series 2 XH's also came with keyless central locking (standard on all XH XR's though).

There's pics of my Interior on my site down there ----v
Old 06-05-2003, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

thanks for all the input guys!

Im sick of looking at the XF's dated interior!! hehe

Ford shoulda changed it for the XH..but eh...they decided to reuse the doors so i guess it was more of an "economic" choice...but XF ghia velour interior would fit into it then i guess??

Do the XR6/XR8 models still come with the vinyl "XF" style door trim??
and if its not a bench seat model does it still have the under dash umbrella hand brake?? im sick of that too!! :-)

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:02   #6 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Why not look for an AU ute at Auction??
Old 06-05-2003, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The problem I found when shopping for an XR ute with my friend is that all the XR's we found were not in great condition, or had higher mileage, at a much higher price than the standard XH. He ended up getting an S-pack with only 17,000km on it in showroom condition much cheaper than an XR. First weekend it was lowered, 17" rims went on and a sports exhaust, still with money left over.

I love the XR's but its hard to find one in decent condition at a decent price. Also, I was surprised that the XH 6cyl used the single runner intake found on EB engines, not the EF/EL intake. Might be different on the XR6's though.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:27   #8 (permalink)