Ford Forums banner

XR engine problems

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sprint_250 
#1 ·
Hey Im having problems for with my XR6. The idle is playing up, when it is in drive the idle is great about 600ish but once you have selected either Neutral or Park it then increases revs up between 1500 and 2000 and sometimes up to 2500.

I was thinking that it is the idle spped motor as when disconnected it runs fine. I have had it resest and it will work fine for a limited amount of time. Does it sound like the idle speed motor? or could it be something else?

On a side note what you you think is a better performance base an AU series 1 XR8 or an ED XR8 Sprint...I have the opportunity to buy one or the other...peoples views would be good

Thanks

#4 ·
I love the ED Sprints, but the AU XR8 has better engine parts and I think more potential when compared witht he spring.

The sprint has GT40 heads and the AU has the newer GT40P's. The manifold, throttle body, MAF, injectors are almost the same.

The AU manual box is the same as the sprint, but the auto is better in the AU. The suspension in the AU is better as well.

The only thing much better in the sprint is the cam, which would account for the 7kw difference. Over the 1/4 mile, I would put my money on the AU but it could go either way, not by much though.

You will be happy with either.

#5 ·
sorry EDXR8 but i have a couple of questions.

The AU series 1 did not have GT40P's did it? I thought they were introduced for the later model AU XR8's? Same with the throttle body and MAF's.

The XR8 Sprint as far as i knew has a higher spec rated T5?... T50D?

The sprint has has neolathane bushes and big swaybars and i have never been in a stock AU1 xr8 that handles better than a sprint.

Over the 1/4 mile there is absolutely no comparasin. A xr8 sprint 5 speed will murder a 5 speed AU1 XR8 - i do it all the time ;)

I was looking at a AU1 XR8 and a Sprint, i'm glad i chose the latter :)

#6 ·
The AU series 1's had stock GT40P heads, 65mm throttle body and 70mm MAF and put out 185kw. I think the 200kw engines had a larger cam and that was it, but I am not sure. The 220kw engines got larger intake and exhaust valves as well as a shave on the heads to bump up compression. They also got a 70mm TB and a better cam again.

AU XR8's had IRS which helps it handle very well. The AU's handle totally different to the E series cars, so it is hard to get an idea without driving one for a while. Also every XR8 after the ED series had the upgraded spec 5 speed box that the sprint had.

What times do you run over the 1/4 mile. I would think both the sprint and the AU would run low 15's or high 14s on a good day.

BTW, If I had the choice, I probably would go for the sprint as well, but it would be hard to go past the AU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.