XR Sprint startin dodgy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2001, 01:00   #1 (permalink)

XR Sprint startin dodgy

Thought i might get your opinions on this.

I just got off my p's and started driving my xr sprint this weekend, and it seems a bit dodgy to start.

It turns over fine but has to crank a little while before it fires up, and when it does it sort of coughs to life.

I was sort of guessing that it could be dodgy electronics (leads plugs etc) as i checked out the leads and they are grey and have 1994 printed on them so i assume they are still original. O yeah it seems to crank longer if the engine is hot and hotter weather.

Im probably gonna take the car into the mechanic on tuesday to throw it onto the computer and check if all is good, but just wondered if you guys had any guesses what might be goin on.

PS. What new leads should i put on? Stockies?

Thanks!
Hinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2001, 02:02   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Thumbs up

Yep I would say you picked it. Std leads are not real good.I have Champion leads,made heaps over the old ones. Depends on Kl's but consider rotor and dist cap? Another too is that engine uses the longer plugs, someone may have put in std v8 plugs that are approx.10 mm shorter. Check !! Aircleaner/fuel pump too ..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 02:07   #3 (permalink)

ok I will check the plugs on the weekend, but definatley get new leads.

I hope the aircleaner is ok its a brand new k&n :-)
Old 12-09-2001, 05:15   #4 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

It could also be fuel pressure regulator. If this is faulty it will not provide enough fuel to the motor when starting (ie you will crank it for a while) and it may miss and carry on when it fires.

Also, if this device is faulty, too much fuel will drain back (to the petrol tank) from the fuel rails @ the motor meaning that the engine will not have any instantaneous supply of fuel when you go to start it.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:57   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Just a thought.Some times with oil type filters the oil can contaminate the wire in the maf,just back from air cleaner.Simply fixed by spraying with white spirits or similar broduct..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 22:59   #6 (permalink)

finally worked it out

Thanks for your help guys, but the problem got worse and eventually the bitch died on me on the way to work. (my mechanic was shut for christmas and new year so i couldnt get him to have a look)

So had to get racv to tow the car to ford dealer and turns out it was the fuel pump on its way out and after stinging me the best part of 500 bux for a new pump its all good now.

Had to sh*t itself so close to christmas.......
Old 12-25-2001, 23:37   #7 (permalink)

hey, another person from Albury!! Welcome to the boards- I'm guessing your car went to Blacklocks...I heard they can rip off a bit. If you aren't happy with them I can put you onto someone who IS really good.

Will have to look out for you anyway...
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 21:38   #8 (permalink)

Blacklocks

Yeah I reckon they were a bit dear, but my mechanic was closed and i really needed the car to be going for christmas.

After I picked the car up I went and filled the tank up, but the gauge didnt go all the way to full and i thought i might have just not filled it all the way (the pump clicked and stopped so i assumed it was full).

But now im starting to wonder cause it is sitting at 3/4 and has been since the car was filled and i have done prolly 250kms, and before the gauge was starting to move from full after doin that many kms, so I will go and fill it up tomoro after werk and if the gauge she dont move, well blacklocks will be getting a bit of a call about a stuffed petrol gauge.

Which mechanic do u use EL FUTURA? I have had an excellent run with Southpoint autos right in town. They always seem to look after me.
Old 12-26-2001, 21:46   #9 (permalink)

I actually use Biti Motors in Culcairn (yes they're a dealership...many people on Ford Forums are VERY pessimistic about Dealers but Biti Motors are pretty good)

...I've had a bit of a problem with a fuel pump/filter before. A while ago, and it was NOT my fault AT ALL, my car was filled up with Diesel!! We get fuel delivered and the fuel guy put diesel in the unleaded tank!! :dead: :crazy1:...at least she runs good now!
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 21:53   #10 (permalink)

Im guessing you probably had a few words with that bloke? How would you fix that? drain the tank and fill it up with unleaded and then wait for the car to fire and start to run to get all the diesel out of the system?

O yeah I gota White ED sprint thats very stock.... right now so it shouldn't be hard to spot (ive only seen one other sprint in Albury, a red one and there is a black one in Wodonga i think)

Are you in one of the tickford clubs? I cant decide which one to join NSW or VIC? I will prolly go VIC coz melbourne is closer i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech