Ford Forums banner

XR8 Ute Vibrations

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  a.marr 
#1 ·
Posted this in the XR Club area but didn't come up with many ideas (thanks anyway RAPTOR), hope someone in here may be able to help.

When I bought my AUII XR8 ute a couple of months back it had quite a severe vibration that could be felt coming up through the seats and steering wheel wobbles, most noticible from about 60km/h, but very obvious at highway speed. Took it in for a service and they replaced something around the spare wheel that was a design flaw, causing the spare wheel to send vibrations through the ute body when hitting slight bumps. This was apparently a factory recall but the previous owner did not do anything about it.

The new part stopped the major vibration, but now I have found that a new smaller (but still annoying) vibration is present through the seat (not so much through the steering wheel). Does anyone know of vibrations in AU utes (in particular the XR8), generally set off by slight bumps or waivers in the road. It is quite frustrating feeling the vibration. No special mods from stock have been done that could cause a vibration.

I have heard somewhere that the driveshaft is known to oscilate up and down slightly from it's normal axis, causing a slight vibration. Can anyone confirm or deny this, or suggest possible alternative sources of the vibration, and if so, possible solutions to the problem.

The tyres are recently balanced and relatively new, so I don't believe it is a tyre problem.

Following suggestions from the XR Club room I have tried to stop the vibration with a passenger in the seat or the seat head rest against the rear firewall as it was suggested that the vibration was due to the tilt mechanism in the seat inducing a vibration through the floor. Tried these things, but it is still there...

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can feel it through the seat it is likely a driveline vibration..I do believe from reading on here there are issues with driveshafts that some of the other guys might be able to comment on more specifically..
Just to check the obvious though,check for play in the bush in the back of the transmission where the driveshaft slips in..I have seen a couple of earlier EB auto ones that have fairly severe wear..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.