Ford Forums banner

XR's new bonnet

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mals BA XR6T 
#1 ·
Does anyone know, or able to edit a picture, of an AU XR with the high bonnet (like on the standard AUII Falcon). Just wondering how that would look?

Mal

#6 ·
The mighty Ford person is right. Hideous indeed!! The only reason we ended up with the high bonnet design is because the average Aussie Joe is too consevative to accept current motor design trends. The AU II front treatment is styled to look like a modern version of the XD. (Fords No.1 seller through the 80's). ie simply a compromise design by Ford to win back buyers. Look at Ford overseas models eg.Focus, Mondeo Cougar and you can see where the AUI was coming from.

#8 ·
I suppose the look is my whole point, maybe us schippies weren't ready for such an aggressive change, and I suppose that shows, and hence the shape change of the AUII. I personally got a shock when it, the AU-1, was released, as did most people, as it was so different to the previous models. But at saying all that I own the AU and must say after originally wanting an EL XR8 (but couldn't find a good one) the AU grows on you.

I was just curious, I suppose I'm a backward schippy hiding within my shick AU XR8 man!

#10 ·
oh, i just think AUs are such good looking cars. the first time i saw the AU range in wheels, i was just amazed! you could say it was love on first site. and now i've GOT an AU. i just can't get enough of that shape. the shape of the front guard bulges is nearly sexual! hell, i wouldn't own one if i didn't think they looked magnificent!

#11 ·
hehe... No stoping true love!

I think most new cars that are radically different shock most people. But to put it into perspective, I owned a ZH Fairlane before I purchased my AU. As you would appreciate it was a big change. All in the The AU, esspecially with the Tickford Kit, shits all over the VT/VX.

but anyway, I assume no one has ever actually seen a picture of an AU XR8/6 with the AUII bonnet?

#14 ·
If you look at the mock-up pics in August Wheels mag you'll get an indication of what AUIII will look like. It's not disimilar in look to the new Mondeo just released in Europe. This is an evolution from the AUI shape. Don't know why Ford didn't stick with the original design philosophy they started with the AUI. We didn't need the AUII ugly (updated?) front end. AUI shape will prove to be a far more durable design in future years than AUII. (a future classic?) Thoughts to ponder!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.