Ford Forums banner

XY 4 x 4 Utes

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  XD 351 Ute 
#1 ·
A friend has purchased what appears to be a genuine XY four-wheel-drive utility.
It has a Cleveland (I'm pretty sure it's a 302) fitted, and at the moment, an unknown 4 speed gearbox.

So this means it is not mechanically original, as they came out with a 250 ?, 6 cylinder and a 3 speed manual box, specifications of which items I don't know too much about.

All the obviously extra suspension and chassis components are handmade / fabricated, and there are modifications here and there that do look somewhat original.

The identification plate fitted has the prefix on the body number
'JH', which indicates the ute was assembled in Brisbane, which is
correct as this is where the 4 x 4 ute's were built.
All other numbers on the body, with the obvious exception of the engine, match and appear to be original.

My apologies for the long-winded intro, but I am seeking whatever information, manuals and anything I can find on these utes.

I have known about this ute for a number of years, as it has remained in the area, and has had a number of different owners.
The problem is, I don't know where it originally came from, and I have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Ed :)

See less See more
#2 ·
The genuine Ford brochure states that these were equiped with the 250 and a "Warner Model AS5 T15A 3 speed fully synchro, manual floor mounted. Ratios - 2.99, 1.83, 1.0:1 (2.99:1 reverse)." The also have Spicer 20 - 2 speed transfer case with 1:1, 2.03:1 ratios. They also had 4 wheel drum brakes (however this is common for this era).

The seat is a highback bench the same as the XA and I think that the steering colum is also XA, due to the fact that these were released after the introduction of the XA.

Hope this info is of use.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info people, much appreciated.
TA22, no, this ute is now a gun-metal grey metallic.
It hasn't been white that I know of, but it did appear to have a
number of colours a few years ago.
We still haven't got around to checking out the gearbox!!!
I'm keen to get hold of pictures of the mechanicals of an original ute if anyone has some!!
Tried google today, and didn't really find anything new apart from
what you've all sent. We'll keep looking!!

Thanks for the help!!

Ed :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.