Yet another zorst question ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2002, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Yet another zorst question !

Hi all,

Sorry to plague you with even more exhaust posts, but I figure you lads n lasses would know among others! I've been quoted approximately $400 for a reback sports exhaust designed for an EF / EL wagon (EL being my car). It includes (from the cat back) 2.5inch mild steel (not stainless) including the 2 straight through mufflers. I'm just wanting to know if anyone can recommend this system or whether I should be looking at a stainless system etc.
Any info appreciated ppl !

Muchas Gracias!,
Steve
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2002, 23:17   #2 (permalink)
exodius

exhausts

theres no "design" or any "fancy" schmancy crap

its just a bigger pipe, a "hotdog", and a muffler and a resinator (u'd want one otherwise it really becomes to loud)

best quote ive gotten for my ef is $285, i wouldnt pay anything over $350 personally. for tips, check out hitech or just get some dual tips for your car.

theres a place in canterbury road, unique mufflers i think?, always bargain yourself, say uve had other quotes etc.

hurstville mufflers i heard is cheap.. check them.. 9586-4066.
if your in syd that :)
Old 01-02-2002, 23:52   #3 (permalink)

exodius - thanx for the info. I'm in Melbourne actually, but I guess I'll shop around and see what the going rate is. My main indecision is whether I should lash out and go stainless or whether the standard gear will suffice - *scratches head*. Oh and a had a typo in my last post - it's a REDBACK exhaust system made for an EF / EL station wagon.

Thanks in advance ppl,
Steve
Old 01-03-2002, 00:25   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Stainless for the right car IMO. Mild is well and truly okay for 90% of all cars and will last at least 5 years. Will you realistically have the car longer?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 01:44   #5 (permalink)

Hi AP,

Yeah that's a tough question - I'd like to go all out on the wagon - ie decent exhaust, chip, gas converter + throttle body, and ultimately supercharge her down the track...but I also have a secret fetish for an MR2 (sacreligous I know, but just for something totally different!) It's my aim to perhaps have 2 cars (in a perfect world!) so yeah I guess, I'd like to keep wagon in excess of 5 years....lord knows that's when i'll just about have saved up for all this - lol !.

Anywho, on topic - yeah I'll enquire about stainless from a few different places - is there any place in melbourne that you can recommend by any chance ?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-03-2002, 02:50   #6 (permalink)
exodius

info.

hey,
a mild steel exhaust will last longer then 5 years, pfft as if it'll die on you, a stainless steel is made to last forever, why fork it out? i have had friends who have had mild steel exhausts on their car for over 5 years and nothing wrong etc.

Dont spend over $350, just shop around, get out the yellow pages, and start hunting, thats how i originally did it :)

With modifying your wagon and putting gas conversion on, there is no point of putting a Chip because the computer will not be used by an aftermarket lpg kit (normal lpg kit would cost roughly $1800..)

You can get a high performance lpg kit, and all most normal lpg kits including mine has a small computer anyhow inside the engine bay.

You can modify your engine by getting a cam done, then high performance lpg, extractors, so on so on, even maybe get the diff ratio changed for more acceleration :)
Old 01-03-2002, 03:12   #7 (permalink)
au2 forte

When choosing between mild/stainless, does the fact that dcstraight uses lpg most of the time matter??
ie. does using lpg adversely effect the longevity of the exhaust more/less than if u were using ULP?? Just curious that's all. Thx
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:13   #8 (permalink)

Thanx for the info ! Yeah I already have factory gas fitted (sorry, I might have been a bit misleading earlier) and yeah I realise a chip will do me no good on the gas side of things, but i was more so referring to getting GRA's LPG fuel converter and throttle body kit. Anywho, will follow up on exhaust places and the like tomorrow and see what people can do :) I've heard mixed things about cam / diff work - can anyone recommend a crowd I could talk to ?

Also does anyone know anything about the 'Redback' sports exhaust kit that I mentioned ealier ?

Sorry for all the q's ppl !

Thanx,
Steve
Old 01-03-2002, 04:14   #9 (permalink)
exodius

redback exhaust system?

the whole "exhaust kit" i think is an absolute load of crap.

the whole HKS system, chrome muffler, why a chrome muffler? theres no point, you'll scratch the ****er out first of all, and it makes your car go that much harder then another? not really no.

Unless they're willing to prove or have some proven facts that a Exhaust "KIT" will make your car go harder then a normal sports exhaust, dont bother!

DiffTech in sydney, call them, ask them to help you, they should be able to help.

www.yellaterra.com.au / superchargers/cams etc.

cam shouldnt cost much.
have you even lowered your car yet etc? :)
Old 01-03-2002, 05:34   #10 (permalink)

hehe - have i even lowered my car yet :) I forgot, it's a 'given' that it must be lowered - heh. Actually JFYI I enquired about pedders suspecnsion today - I was quoted $1,170 for front and rear sports ryder shocks, springs and obviously labour. It does sound a little bit pricy - is this the going rate ?

Oh and back on exhaust - I was basically told that mandrel bent exhaust would only be of real benefit for turbo cars due to their dependence on a good exhaust to prevent back pressure etc - hence mandrel bent exhaust not really applicable to my car...even if I supercharge down the track - sound right ppl ?

Thanx again all,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech