Yikes... 4 spd auto problems... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2002, 06:07   #1 (permalink)
EB wagon

Yikes... 4 spd auto problems...

Hey guyz, my old 4spd is developing a problem it seems... ITs only happened twice now and the first time i ignored it but it happened again tonight. I was driving along happily doing about 80kph when all of a sudden my auto downshifted to 3rd...
I thought i was hit the T-bar or something but it was still in the D position... so i flicked it down too 2nd and then back up too drive but she wouldnt kick backinto 4th! So i slowed at the next set of lights and the damn thing wouldnt go into 1st! It was just running 2nd and 3rd! So i stopped at the fuel station and turned off the ignition.... refulled and restarted.... it began operation normally again! Anyone know what could have caused this???
My box has always performed crappy (it needs a S5 replacement)... like it will upshift when u take yer foot off the gas after accelerating and then would nearly stall itself.. but it never not shifted into a gear.. its got me worried now coz i dont have the cash to get the box sorted out atm. Anyone have any idea's??

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2002, 13:13   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

It sounds like some sort of fail safe mode. Perhaps chech the level of trans fluid, check its not burnt etc. I couldnt imagine it would overheat being driven normally. Perhaps a sensor id playing up?

Just a few ideas.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 19:00   #3 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Not sure, but I think is was because the fluid level was really low.

Now would be a good time to dump the pan, replace the filter, clain the magnets and add fresh fluid.

What colour is the fluid?
It should be red and clear..
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
5Litres of Ford Power

If the computer detects that there are any problems with the tranny then it will engage it into 3rd gear (limp home mode), believe me I have been there. My old EB did this when the tranny died !
Old 11-28-2002, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
EB wagon

Checked fluid level and thats fine... was changed not more than 3 months ago.. I thought when in limp-home-mode, the box locked into 2nd? It was running 2nd and 3rd gears. Anyway, i will run the computer test and check for codes... I cant tell if its overheating coz when i changed the dash, the new dash didnt have the power mode light so i dunno if it was flashing or not.
Thanx guys

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 21:13   #6 (permalink)

That is the exact same thing my mates box has done twice. Fluid level is ok. Anyone got any other ideas on fixing it? This 'limp home mode' is it expensive to fix?

*EDIT* Can anyone tell me how to do the computer test?
DaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech