Ford Forums banner

ZL cruise control....NO GO.

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  deankdx 
#1 ·
i thought i might fix the cruise control in the ZL since i was putting the trip computer in anyway, so i changed the cruise control module since apparently that was the problem and it still doesnt work. what else could it be. it was working fine till about 2 years ago and then it just stopped. grandpa was saying that it was on and then just took off way past 160kmh and that was the end of that, hasnt worked since. (i think that was when it stopped working). is there a light on the instrument panel that lights up when it is swithed on so you know that the system is activated? im asking coz when i push 'set' no light on the dash comes on to say its activated.
is there any particular wires from the module that i should check to see if power is getting to it?
any help would be good.
:edit:eek:k after i pulled out the clock/trip computer i found a black box behind it. every one has said that this is the cruise module but the wreckers said its the one behind the cruise buttons on the dash which is the one i changed. is this black box behind the clock/trip computer the real module for the cruise or is it something else?:edit:

#3 ·
If i remember correctly when i had my XF Ghia...there was a connection to the back of the digital cluster for the cruise control...that could be loose perhaps?..And there is no lights to indicate cruise control is activated...you should just press set and it should work.

Extreme

#4 ·
The only light is the one behind the binnacle switch - the switch lettering goes from green to white with the lights on - not much use as you can only see it at night!

Also check whether the vacuum hose to the cruise actuator under the bonnet is secure and not disconnected or split.

#6 ·
there is no light because you press the SPD button first which stays in and thats your indication its on. Is the cable properly adjusted? Remember its vacuum operated could have a dud line somewhere

#7 ·
who knows. i replaced both the module behind the buttons and also the black box behind the trip computer and run a test light over a few things and it still doesnt work. i fixed the computer too as the plug wasnt in properly after all, and its stayed on since then. i some how managed to make the cycling vents work again too as they didnt work either. dont ask how i got them working coz i didnt go anywhere near them or their wiring but they work again....go figure. well 2 out of 3 things isnt too bad but as for the cruise i have no idea why it doesnt work.

#9 ·
pull the clock out and make sure the connector is plugged in properly...thats what mine was. as i said before about the cycling vents working again....well they stopped again and dont know why since i dont know how i made them work again.
i give up. if anyone figures out what the probable cause for the cruise not working and how to fix it then bring this thread back alive!!

#10 ·
The Clock is a Common Issue in the XF Ghia/ZL Fairlaine

I never got around to fixing it...but it seems to be a connector issue

mine also blanked out when i hit the brake pedal

Extreme

#11 ·
hey i have the same problem with my xf faimont ghia

but i bought it with the cruise not working

my trip computer with the miliage and time and that dosnt drop in and out but it does come up sometimes when i have alot of fuel in the tank and it says that i have 70 or 30 km till empty is there a fix for that

#12 ·
ive also had probems with ZL cruise and found the cause to be the brake pedal switch was too close only about 1mm unscrew this a little first if you've still had no luck but wit simptoms of doing 160 km/h (GREAT EXCUSE FOR SPEEDING??) i'd be guessing the vacuum motor that pulls the cable has a fault

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.