ZL Fairlane? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 04:29   #1 (permalink)

cool ZL Fairlane?

Hey Folks,

I mate at work is giving me a 1986 Fairlane. I have owned an XF Fairmont Ghia and I kinda know what to expect, but I am just after some opinions on what can go wrong with them? or what are the good points?

This particular example has electrical issues. The current owners are not that mechanically minded, so they couldn't tell me what "electrical" problems it had.

It also has no keys. Can you call ford and ask if they can provide keys for it from the VIN chassis number?

and hasn't been started for 3 years...

But I will keep you updated when i pick it up!

Cheers,
Mike Jones..
mjones@au.ibm.com
xl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2002, 06:20   #2 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

I too had a XF Ghia a while back...

well the XF Ghia and ZL fairlaine are pretty much exact in terms of drivetrain and elecs.

Common problems include the wiring breaking between the doors and the centre pillars/front pillars, power window motor/regulator failure, and the bad earths that these cars are plauged with.

Well thats what i suffered through anyway :-)

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:50   #3 (permalink)

Mate, it's the right price! :-)

Check the dash - mine had an intermittent fault that would make it go blank occasionally - probably a dodgy earth. Also the piss-ant starter cable can cause hot starting problems - easy to replace with one from an earlier car. The fusible link from the battery to the rest of the car can deteriorate, but new ones from Ford are cheap.

If it has a trip computer, this can stuff up - oddly enough mine occasionally did it when you braked - it reset and the brainbox then thought you had no fuel in the car so it kept beeping at you. Never figured that one out.......

Also prone to oil leaks from rocker cover (easy fix) and rear main seal (not so easy). Power steering leaks from the box are common, but reco boxes are not too expensive.

But a beautiful car to drive, and best of all, it's a Ford! ;-)

Cheers

XWish Ute

Cheers

XWish Ute
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 15:23   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Locks would be extremely easy to replace and cheap. You may need to buy the whole ignition assembly thing which the barrel goes into though, they'd be pretty cheap from a wrecker. Just make sure you get the right one.

I bought a XF Ghia for $485 and had no electrical problems with it except central locking not working. Mechanical problems were couple of heater hose joints going brittle and crumbling.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 02:19   #5 (permalink)

Picked up the car last thursday. It's a silvery green colour and it has 150000kms, no oil leaks, 14" alloys. 1 spot of rust in the boot. An inch thick layer of crap over the car :-) Need to wash it. The previous owners smoked and there is the "taxi cab" smell to it (pine tree hanging off the mirror :-)). No dents.

Should I get a locksmith out and get keys made up? I attempted to get the ignition out, but i couldn't figure out how the barrel attaches to the steering column? Anyone know how to do this without breaking all the plastic from the column?

Mike Jones
mjones@au.ibm.com

1994 EF Fairmont Ghia
1963 XL Falcon Deluxe
1986 ZL Fairlane
Old 12-02-2002, 06:08   #6 (permalink)

Put it on accesories and get small peice of stiff wire push in the spring and hey presto out comes ignition barrel
If you have no keys give it a jiggle with a dip stick
351 XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 16:55   #7 (permalink)

Ok, pulled the drivers side door lock out and took it to a locksmith. Had keys made up, but they don't turn the ignition barrel.

I tried the dipstick... not a chance.... I have heard of this before and i think it may be an urban myth.... It only fits in 1 side of the lock, maybe it works with 2 dipsticks.

Can you get keys from Ford from the VIN or build number or something? Anyone know another trick on getting the barrel out?

The previous owner is adamant that the car had only 1 key for the door and ignition. I wish he could find them.

Mike.
mjones@au.ibm.com

1994 EF Fairmont Ghia
1963 XL Falcon Deluxe
1986 ZL Fairlane
Old 12-11-2002, 22:50   #8 (permalink)

Try using the auto tranny dipstick. twist with pliers whilst jiggling .
Be sure to unload the steering lock mechanism with the steering wheel.
Shambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech