1978 mk4 engine replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Cortina Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Cortina.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 05:35   #1 (permalink)
78 mk4 Cortina

Question 1978 mk4 engine replacement

Hi. I have a 1978 Ford Cortina that i am restoring. I'm currently taking it to bits and restoring the body.
After this i want to put a turbo'd engine of some sort, mabey a 2000cc (or bigger) with a turbo. I was wondering if anyone out there has done, or knows of anything similar to my project, and would be able to reccommend an engine that would fit into the mk4 cortina without much, or no trouble at all.
Someone has told me that an RB20 nissan skyline engine has similar engine mounts, and fits in.. Also a Toyota Supra 3L V6 Twin turbo? Is anyone able to confirm if any of these engines will fit into the mk4? Or suggest one that will? Any tips or hints?

Thanks.
pAKAGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
WHATS THAT NOISE?

Re: 1978 mk4 engine replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAKAGe
Hi. I have a 1978 Ford Cortina that i am restoring. I'm currently taking it to bits and restoring the body.
After this i want to put a turbo'd engine of some sort, mabey a 2000cc (or bigger) with a turbo. I was wondering if anyone out there has done, or knows of anything similar to my project, and would be able to reccommend an engine that would fit into the mk4 cortina without much, or no trouble at all.
Someone has told me that an RB20 nissan skyline engine has similar engine mounts, and fits in.. Also a Toyota Supra 3L V6 Twin turbo? Is anyone able to confirm if any of these engines will fit into the mk4? Or suggest one that will? Any tips or hints?

Thanks.
gday mate what motor is fitted to the car at the mo?if its a 6 you have limitless options from a sr20 up to 351 clevo it all depends on your budget.as for turbo 6s ive seen te's fitted with everything from rb20's and 2jz (3L twin turbo straight 6)to nissan vg30et(3L 12 valve single turbo) or you could always force feed the factory 6. if its a 4 im not to sure how you will go for room at the back of the motors coz of the firewall?but basicly anything can be made to fit if ya have enough skill or cash.if i had the option personally for the price of jap front cut and then gettin all tha gismos that run the motor wired up plus the support systems(fuel system computor etc)id spend the cash on building and turboin the factory 6 of stuff an 8 in it.....yeah a 7000rpm jap motor might sound nice but a 5500rrpm torque monster that lifts the front left will leave it for dead every time good luck with the project
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum