MK II engine conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Cortina Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Cortina.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

MK II engine conversion

The oppportunity has come up for me to buy a stripped and straight mkII.
I also have access to a cut down 8inch diff to suit. This has got me thinking along the lines that a jap engine conversion would be fun.
I can find information on mkI conversions, but not anything on mk II.
If there is any1 out there who has a jap engine in there mkII or knows of some1 i could have a bit of a chat to, it would be extremely helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
Steve-o

Re: MK II engine conversion

Im not positive, but im pretty sure MK1 and MK2 are basically the same, just the shells are different, so if something fits in a MK1 it will fit a MK2

http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...0&ppuser=18547
V8 cortina in pipelines, powered by satan himself
gt69cortina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

So the engine bay dimensions are the same? Strut to strut, firewall to radiator?
Can any1 else confirm this?
Old 10-11-2005, 22:14   #4 (permalink)

I think if anything the engine bay in the mk2 would be larger, but yeah ive been looking for advice too. Im currently looking into a ca18det conversion for my mk2. Any advice on diff/brake conversions would be mint!
moorfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 22:51   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I've seen somewhere on the internet a place that sells 300mm and 330mm disk brake conversion, you need to upgrade your brake booster to suit tho.
Can't remeber where it is but a google search should bring it up.
Why bother with a ca18, i was thinking SR20 or perhaps a 4agze/20 valve. Was thinking perhaps the 4ag mayb be easier to get legal due to smaller capacity.
Old 10-12-2005, 14:05   #6 (permalink)

Thinking of a CA due to availibility as everyone takes them out in favour of sr20's so can pick one up pretty cheap. Just found a site with pretty good info on sr20/ca18 conversions but its for mk1's, www.cortina-mk1.com/sr20.shtm
moorfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 17:27   #7 (permalink)

hello,

MK2s are the same dimensions in the engine bay to a MK1

but the shape is different

MK2s dont have the taper that a mk1 has
cortina-mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:20   #8 (permalink)
MkII Cortina Owner

I was going to put a 2TGEU in my MkII Cortina. We fitted it one day, and it pretty much fell in. Sat right on the mounts properly, cleared the crossmember and the steering, the shifter came up in the right spot on the floor and the gearbox mounts were pretty much spot on.

We never fired it up, so I cant comment on all the little annoying stuff. So heres a photo of it sitting pretty as we were working on the car.

For those who dont know, a 2TGEU is a Toyota 1600. 2 valves per cylinder, Double overhead cams. Its pretty similar in concept and execution to the Lotus Twin Cams that the pommies stuffed into MkI and MkII Cortinas.

Cheers,
Prud

P.S. Since Im no longer going to be using this motor, its up for sale. Included is a spare head, and a supra 5 speed. PM me for details...
Old 01-22-2006, 03:14   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prud
I was going to put a 2TGEU in my MkII Cortina. We fitted it one day, and it pretty much fell in. Sat right on the mounts properly, cleared the crossmember and the steering, the shifter came up in the right spot on the floor and the gearbox mounts were pretty much spot on.

For those who dont know, a 2TGEU is a Toyota 1600. 2 valves per cylinder, Double overhead cams. Its pretty similar in concept and execution to the Lotus Twin Cams that the pommies stuffed into MkI and MkII Cortinas.

Cheers,
Prud
What year is that engine? Im looking to go for forced induction tho.
Im guessing it would be similar dimensions to a 4agze?

I am really struggling to find a half decent mk II to start my project with, if any1 knows of a decent mk II for sale in SA could they let me know, i am prepared to pay decent money for a 2 door especially.
Old 01-23-2006, 14:14   #10 (permalink)
MkII Cortina Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8XTC
What year is that engine? Im looking to go for forced induction tho.
Im guessing it would be similar dimensions to a 4agze?
Its a mid eighties jobbie. The 2TGEU started out life as the 2TG - pushrod 1600 found in most local Celicas. Toyota sent some blocks to Yamaha, and they developed the twin cam head for it so Toyota could go racing. Which is pretty special - its a Hemispherical head, and the valves are very large - to the point where they almost touch. And given its a Toyota, its a ... robust engine. Theyre good in atmo form, they work well with forced induction. For a 1600, its a bl**dy good donk. And theres two big bonuses with them. 1: Rego is easy, really easy compared to an SR20 or similar (same capacity)... 2: With a bit of creative machining to the rocker cover, you could fool 90% of the people into thinking its a Lotus.

Theres heap of info about them on the Toyota forums, try http://www.toymods.org.au/

Ive never measured a 4AGE and compared it to the 2TGEU, but I cant see them being too dissimilar. The Toyota boys fit 2TGEUs and 4AGEs to early Corollas all the time - and they have less room in the front than a Corty...

In terms of fitting in the front end of a MkII - they fit really well. We swung this one in the engine bay, just to see how itd fit. We had half a day free, but 10-15 minutes after picking the engine up off the floor it was in. So we spent about an hour looking for things we missed before going for the friday arvo liquid lunch.

Theres plenty of room for a supercharger, or a turbo charger. Theres also plenty of room to make a bigger plenum chamber if you want. Theres a heap of room between the block and the radiator. The only slightly tight fit is the back of the head to the firewall - hence we were doing some work at gaining a little room. It fits, but its a little close.

The Supra 5 speed came up through the floor at roughly the same spot as the Ford 4 speed. The only question there is that my now dead car is an automatic shell - bigger tunnel than a manual. So Im not sure how itll go in a manual shell. The box isnt terribly big compared to a Ford 4 speed, so Im guessing that even with a manual shell it'll fit no problems. Well, no problems a hammer couldnt fix.

The reason Im getting rid of it? Its Japanese. I'd rather be running a Ford in my Ford...

Cheers,
Prud
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum