Mk4 Cortina - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Cortina Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Cortina.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 04:24   #1 (permalink)

confused Mk4 Cortina

A few months back I brought a yellow 1980 mk4 cortina off the elderly first owner. Cars immaculate condition with only a few minor problems but only got given 1 set of keys but just so happens I lost that only set. My dad works at a car auction place which have alot of keys without cars. I found a key that opened my two doors and boot but wouldn't fit into the ignition. I went to the locksmith and they ordered in a blank they could impression onto. Turns out they ordered an Fo08 not an fo10 and couldn't do the job till next week. It's easter weekend so key won't be here will at least wednesday and I would love to be driving it right now. I've pulled off the cover under the steering wheel and unscrewed the thing on left off the ignition so I could start it but forgot about the steering lock. Anyone know how I can disable/remove the steering lock without breaking it? I've removed the dash just enough to realise the bolts that hold the ignition on dont have any grooves or anything so that it can be unscrewed. I can't find any information on the net anywhere but I spose it's so it can't aid thieves. Also do you have to have the ignition turned to on to be able to remove the barrel? Ive pressed the pin and been able to get the barrel/barrel cover out a third of the way without too much effort but don't want to use any brute force to remove it further if it will do damage to my babys ignition permanantly. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks
the_nz_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 13:09   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Mk4 Cortina

Hi Chris.

I think it will be easier to wait until you get your keys. The barrel can only be removed with that pin when the correct key is in the barrel at the time.

Thieves generally just snap the steering lock with no regard for the car anyway but those bolts with no grooves that hold the lock in place are shear bolts. They have a bolt head on them when new and are designed for the head to snap off at the correct tension and leave you with what you see there. They are removable with persistance in the workshop as I have done many of them to replace a lock but then you need new shear bolts to fit it again. My advice is to just wait that little bit longer and get the correct key then you will have no broken parts to repair.
Old 03-21-2008, 17:01   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Mk4 Cortina

Thanks for your help. I might remove those bolts then, are there any ideas on the easiest way. Also the bolts wont be too hard to find will they? Im guessing there's no way of attacking it by taking off the steering wheel etc. Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 06:11   #4 (permalink)

If it's anything like my Capri, if you take the glovebox lock out, the key number should be on it. Just get one cut to that number and it should fit the ignition.
BTW the shear bolts are still available but listed as Transit ones.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 16:18   #5 (permalink)

Question Re: Mk4 Cortina

Thanks for your help. The glove box doesn't have a lock btw but good thought. Key's almost a worry of the past now. I would like to know how to bleed my rear drum brakes. My mates bleed alot of brakes but never seen ones like mine. That black cap thing how do you take it off? It doesnt appear to be on a thread and you can move it in and out about 5mm. Surely it can't be anything more than a press with turn or a pull right? Help with this would be great. Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 02:52   #6 (permalink)

No worries got it sorted. Didnt realise I had to bleed at the opposite rear wheel
Old 03-26-2008, 14:09   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_nz_chris View Post
No worries got it sorted. Didnt realise I had to bleed at the opposite rear wheel

Ok. I just read the post. The black thing you mention is probably the rubber bung in the back plate covering the brake adjusting mechanism. Now you have found the correct bleeder nipple, you should be right.
Old 11-21-2008, 00:35   #8 (permalink)

A few months ago my mate crashed my cortina into the back of another car :(. Fully mangled the front left corner leaving it folded almost up to the tyre. No chassis damage but with replacement of left front guard, bonnet, head light, indicator and bumper i'm left with a crease in the inner guard and a twisted up valance. My uncle has a mk5 estate with a tidy valance. Have not visualed and have to go a long way to get it and would like to know if it will fit on my mk4. Also any knowledge on the best way of removing these spot welds would be helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum