what engine ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Cortina Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Cortina.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 05:53   #1 (permalink)

what engine ?

Hey,

I am looking for some advice on what to do for my baby a 1973 TC XLE it currently runs the 250 pre crossflow and standard trans but I want something better.

I have too many ideas and change my mind too often so I have come to the cortina gods to ask advice. I want something that is efi and will run on straight gas, I also have an uncontrolable urge to own a turbo. I have an efi 250 crossflow that I pulled out of a fairlane, and I have thought about rebuilding this with a turbo setup. But there are a few problems. The inet manifold I heard will not fit under the bonnet and I don't want to put a scoop on it, also I really want to keep it legal as I could never sell this car and turbo'ing an engine that didn't come out with a turbo is a huge headache. I have been told by transport sa that I would have to go to Mitsubishi's and have the engine tested for emissions and this will cost about 7 grand and there are no guarentees it will pass !!

I know that these and the later "E" series engines respond extremely well to turbo's but in my state (South Australia) it just aint legal. which has led me to think about a jap engine like a rb20 or an rb25 out of a skyline then I would have to get the car engineered which I think might be a bit easier and cheaper. But I have started going with the ford theme like the number plates are xle 250 and I have just got power by ford welded into the bootlid.

My missus tells me to put in a xr6 turbo motor which would be good but it has never been done and I would be unable to do it myself plus workshops probably wouldn't take it on.

As you can see I am pretty frazzled so any ideas would be appreciated and I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Andrew
xle_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 14:36   #2 (permalink)
money pit

Re: what engine ?

G'day! here's a couple of pointers that I have learnt ...

- the efi 250 will fit under your bonnet (I have had them in two TC's myself)
-RB20's have almost the exact same dimensions as a ford motor but the sump would need to be modified
- I think a 1JZ would fit nicely... I measured it up and looks like an easier conversion than a RB... although it would be big $$$ to fit it up( speedo, tailshaft, radiator etc etc)
-I haven't measured it up, but I suspect the xr6 turbo rocker cover wouldn't fit under the bonnet
- Tara_hymen has done the OHC conversion, with a good result, I started to then went soft haha

Hope some of this rambling crap helps ya!
Craig

P.S. 'cortina gods'- I love it! hahah
holset_cortina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:13   #3 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Quote:
Originally Posted by xle_freak
Hey,
my baby a 1973 TC XLE it currently runs the 250 pre crossflow and standard trans but I want something better.

I want something that is efi and will run on straight gas, I also have an uncontrolable urge to own a turbo.

lol. you sound just like me.

Are you 100% sure you have to have emissions testing on the straight LPG turbo 250 crossie?

If you do, its a real bummer because the efi 250 straight gas turbo in tc is by far and away the best bang for buck option you will find, nothing else is even close really.

WANTED for TC 250 cortina; BA XR6 Stock Garrett Turbo. Thanks.
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

I would defently go a nice rebuilt 250 cross flow efi manifolded turboed motor :> Dont fit JAP crap into the corty (i know those engines are good but it just aint right)
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:34   #5 (permalink)
money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED250
I would defently go a nice rebuilt 250 cross flow efi manifolded turboed motor :> Dont fit JAP crap into the corty (i know those engines are good but it just aint right)
ditto
Old 01-01-2006, 18:27   #6 (permalink)

Turbos are awesome but you thought about just a nice warm n/a 250xflow these can push out 130rwkw+ without too much trouble and in a corty will run 13's on the quarter. That's much easier if it's gunna be such a hassle in your area to engineer etc.. How much power are you actually chasing for a street car? You can even get 250's to run 12's and be street driven (but not economical by any means).
250XFLOWROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:55   #7 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

trust me a 12 second 250 NA is miles and miles away from being anything any where near fuel efficient :>
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:47   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your guidence I have decided to go with the injected 250 crossflow I am unsure if I will turbo it straight up or build it n/a but at least I have some direction.

Sorry for the late reply but my computer decided to get a huge virus and I have only just got it back.

If anyone else has any more ideas to share feel free to add to this thread

Thanks again

Andrew
xle_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15   #9 (permalink)

hey
you could allways supercharge instead of turbo for that instant response.
i recomend welding your top diff arms to the body before you rip them out
skid
your suffering
remember this young grasshopper
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Cortina Forum