Ford Forums banner

your cortina what mods

27K views 125 replies 30 participants last post by  holset_cortina 
#1 · (Edited)
been pretty quite here lately so i thought id spice it up a tad.what cortina have you got and what mods you done or are planing to do?o.k ill start mines a 78 te worked 250xflow extractors and a 3inch exhaust solid cam not sure of specs? but has a very lumpy idle when it wants to idle.roller rockers redline manifold with a 600 holley.im unsure what else has been done to the motor as i bought it as is.it has a c4 shift kitted with a b-m quicksilver shifter and hi stall converter.borg warner diff with either 3.7 or 3.9 diff gears(bloody things reving at 3000 at 70 clicks)its jet black with a g.t wind back sunroof and has a custom trimed interior.the boot is boxed out.lowered on pedders springs with 17inch momo extremes...my plans for it are im pulling this motor out and im either going to rebuild it for a efi turbo setup or get a xf efi motor to start with im not sure yet??im hoping for 300kw at the wheels.and change wheels momo extremes have to be the ugliest wheels ive ever seen.http://www.fordgallery.com/data/500/17332pic_1-med.jpg http://www.fordgallery.com/data/500/17332My_Pictures0002-med.jpg

#2 ·
dicast- If you dont mind me askin this, but did you buy that cortina from someone in Parramatta?
only reason im asking is becoz i saw it in the trading post a while back and look like a neat example, same wheels as those.

Tony.

#3 ·
Mr_GT said:
dicast- If you dont mind me askin this, but did you buy that cortina from someone in Parramatta?
only reason im asking is becoz i saw it in the trading post a while back and look like a neat example, same wheels as those.

Tony.
tony thats the same car alright i bought it after 4 months looking for the right car. i was really looking for a capri to put a v8 in it but try and find one?

#4 ·
Hey dicast,

Are you ready for this.......

My 1975 TD XLE is currently in panel shop getting her make up done...Ford Hot Chilli Red with Black "GT Style" stripe on bonnet & boot, Black vinyl roof with black louvres on back windscreen along with "GT style" rear spoiler and low street scoop. All the chrome work has either been polished or re-done.
Interior will be next to get done but already have a set of AutoTechnica "Monza" seats the dash is being completely re-furbished along with new carpet etc.
The 302 Windsor is currently being re-built and bored to 30thou over, topped with an Edelbrock "Torker" manifold, 670 Holley "Street Avenger" Carby, Ford Racing Polished Alloy Rocker covers, 14" Airforce1 Air filter (Chrome), haven't decided on the cam yet, hunting a bargain for a V8 5 speed gearbox but may go with a Supra 5 speed (waiting to see how things pan out). High end 200 9" Diff will be going in all drinking from a 100ltr drop tank supplied by a Holley Blue fuel pump. The Tyres are BFG and wrapped around original Aunger "Hustler" Mags that have been refurbished.

Ok so that's it and to think I'll be trying to have all this ready for Christmas due to a car show here in WA in Feb.

Cheers TD_2_NV (aka Tim)

#6 ·
TD_2_NV said:
Hey dicast,

Are you ready for this.......

My 1975 TD XLE is currently in panel shop getting her make up done...Ford Hot Chilli Red with Black "GT Style" stripe on bonnet & boot, Black vinyl roof with black louvres on back windscreen along with "GT style" rear spoiler and low street scoop. All the chrome work has either been polished or re-done.
Interior will be next to get done but already have a set of AutoTechnica "Monza" seats the dash is being completely re-furbished along with new carpet etc.
The 302 Windsor is currently being re-built and bored to 30thou over, topped with an Edelbrock "Torker" manifold, 670 Holley "Street Avenger" Carby, Ford Racing Polished Alloy Rocker covers, 14" Airforce1 Air filter (Chrome), haven't decided on the cam yet, hunting a bargain for a V8 5 speed gearbox but may go with a Supra 5 speed (waiting to see how things pan out). High end 200 9" Diff will be going in all drinking from a 100ltr drop tank supplied by a Holley Blue fuel pump. The Tyres are BFG and wrapped around original Aunger "Hustler" Mags that have been refurbished.

Ok so that's it and to think I'll be trying to have all this ready for Christmas due to a car show here in WA in Feb.

Cheers TD_2_NV (aka Tim)
not bad tim dont forget some pics when it comes out of the shop

#8 ·
hello all, where do i start? i got a few cortinas;

1) 76 TD sedan with a ED XR6 4.0L engine, custom extractors, electric water pump, and a pod filter but otherwise stock. T5 5 speed manual and a 3.00:1 9 inch. boot mounted battery. it's dumped 120mm on pedders springs and shocks, 16X7 Boyd Coddington billets. Front brakes are xw discs, rears are xf discs. the interior and body are otherwise neat but standard. this is only a prototype just to see if i could do it. my plans for this one are to soon pull it apart and start again on cortina #3.

2) 75 TD wagon, clapped out unleaded xf engine with a c4. i've got angine on the stand ready to go in as soon as i finish off building the manifold to suit a T3/T4 hybrid turbo. it's gonna run straight lpg and this is all so i can teach myself the extremes of turbocharging before i embark on the final mission.

3) 72 MkIII GT 2door with a 3.0L GT V6 engine, C4 and have no idea what the diff is. looks standard and looks like it's supposed to be there but looks nothing like a cortina diff. it's in pretty average condition with cancer in several places. i've built a rotissierie for it and should be mounting it up there shortly. this is the big one, the one that the missus would kill me(literally) if she knew how much i'm gonna spend. once i taught myself turbos i'm gonna stick the tickford engine in with turbo. unsure yet on g'box but will maintain the 9 inch. it's gonna have heaps of little mods; van pedal box to get the booster/master cylinder under the dash. custom firewall, custom tunnel, custom dash, rear buckets, full length centre console, electric panel sunroof, door handles removed, mini tubs, jukebox, centre mounted drop tank, and a heap of more stuff which isnt springing to mind right now. i'm real big on doing everything myself. i did a sewing course so i can make my own custom door trims. this semester i'm doing a panelbeating course one night a week and spraypainting another night a week. and to finish up my long drawn out speech i hope to have it finished by about this time next year.

hey TD_2_NV, what car show is happening in feb?

#9 ·
hello all, where do i start? i got a few cortinas;

1) 76 TD sedan with a ED XR6 4.0L engine, custom extractors, electric water pump, and a pod filter but otherwise stock. T5 5 speed manual and a 3.00:1 9 inch. boot mounted battery. it's dumped 120mm on pedders springs and shocks, 16X7 Boyd Coddington billets. Front brakes are xw discs, rears are xf discs. the interior and body are otherwise neat but standard. this is only a prototype just to see if i could do it. my plans for this one are to soon pull it apart and start again on cortina #3.
(nice corty you have there.was the engine conversion easy)

#10 ·
1975 TD Cortina
Tropicana Green with extra metallic and yellow pearl. Full Autometer dash, Mini tubbed and fitted with 165's on 51/2's and 255's on 8's
302+.040 Windsor, ported 302 heads 1.94 I &1.6 E valves, C.A.T 1.6:1 roller rockers, Speed Pro flat tops (9.33 comp), matched ported Weiand X-Celerator intake modified 600DP, Crane cam 240 @ .050 and 530 thou lift, Crane lifters. ARP rod bolts, oil pump drive, head bolts and main stud kit. Fully balanced
C4 auto with kevlar bands and plates and shift kit and B&M Pro Ratchet shifter 4300 rpm Convertor Shop stall
B/W 78 diff fitted out with Moser31 spline billet axles and Romac centre 4.11 gears
16 gal RCI cell. Alloy radiator with ICE 16" fan and Davies Craig electric water pump and custom controller. Custom made 13/4" HPC coated extractors into twin 21/2", X pipe and s/s ultraflow mufflers.
*Soon to be fitted 221 Windsor heads, porting to suit 302w gaskets (plus too much more to list), fitted with 1.94 and 1.6 stainless steel Manley severe duty valves and "as above" listed parts from old heads, 49.3cc chambers yelding 10.57:1 from 9.33 should be fun. (Would use after market alloys heads only doing all the work on the cast heads myself)

#11 ·
dicast said:
(nice corty you have there.was the engine conversion easy)
thanks very much, it wasnt easy nor hard. very time consuming. took me close to 18 months from start to finish and in that it took me 12 months to wire it up. i did however spend about 8 months trying to figure out why it wouldnt start(no inj pulse) and found i was using the wrong ecu the whole time.

#12 ·
TaraHymen said:
thanks very much, it wasnt easy nor hard. very time consuming. took me close to 18 months from start to finish and in that it took me 12 months to wire it up. i did however spend about 8 months trying to figure out why it wouldnt start(no inj pulse) and found i was using the wrong ecu the whole time.
i was thinking about a ef-el six in my te but chickened out and decided to turbo the xflow.looks like my wallet will never forgive me now.

#13 ·
i used the ed cos i liked the look of the intake manifold although the configuration of the EF/L intake just screams out "TURBO ME!!!!"

#14 ·
TD302 said:
1975 TD Cortina
Tropicana Green with extra metallic and yellow pearl. Full Autometer dash, Mini tubbed and fitted with 165's on 51/2's and 255's on 8's
302+.040 Windsor, ported 302 heads 1.94 I &1.6 E valves, C.A.T 1.6:1 roller rockers, Speed Pro flat tops (9.33 comp), matched ported Weiand X-Celerator intake modified 600DP, Crane cam 240 @ .050 and 530 thou lift, Crane lifters. ARP rod bolts, oil pump drive, head bolts and main stud kit. Fully balanced
C4 auto with kevlar bands and plates and shift kit and B&M Pro Ratchet shifter 4300 rpm Convertor Shop stall
B/W 78 diff fitted out with Moser31 spline billet axles and Romac centre 4.11 gears
16 gal RCI cell. Alloy radiator with ICE 16" fan and Davies Craig electric water pump and custom controller. Custom made 13/4" HPC coated extractors into twin 21/2", X pipe and s/s ultraflow mufflers.
*Soon to be fitted 221 Windsor heads, porting to suit 302w gaskets (plus too much more to list), fitted with 1.94 and 1.6 stainless steel Manley severe duty valves and "as above" listed parts from old heads, 49.3cc chambers yelding 10.57:1 from 9.33 should be fun. (Would use after market alloys heads only doing all the work on the cast heads myself)
nice cortina mate seems alot of good examples popping up.td302 is the borg warner strong enough?seems you got a powerfull car there mate cause i want to put some serious power in my car but dont realy want to do a nine inch conv.also can you shed some light on the electric water pump with custom controller whats it do?

#15 ·
dicast said:
nice cortina mate seems alot of good examples popping up.td302 is the borg warner strong enough?seems you got a powerfull car there mate cause i want to put some serious power in my car but dont realy want to do a nine inch conv.also can you shed some light on the electric water pump with custom controller whats it do?
Yeah I was the same a 9inch is too bloody heavy and soaks up too much HP, the B/W will handle anything I throw at it. I've seen the same parts fitted in 9 second gassed XY's with no probs. I got all the bits from Mark at AUSSIE DIFFS on the Gold Coast and a mate of mine set it up. With EWP we just used a JayCar $32 12v speed controller instead of the Davies Craig $150 smart controller. Around town it likes anywhere 7v-12v and on the freeway flat out. V8's in Cortinas normally don't like running cool without engine fans but I won at the end...

#18 ·
Hey Tara (Norm?)

Car show in Feb (Well it was this year) is Motorvation details at www.motorplex.com.au and then we got All Ford Day 2005 at I guess the same location which was Bassendeen Oval This year there was only 1 TC on show....for sale purposes only the guy wanted $4.5k stock standard (I pmsl)

Cheers
:wnc: Tim
(TD_2_NV aka FunkyTD aka aren't 2 forums fun....not)

Can someone let me know if they got any idea on how I can post the pics of my work in progress?

#19 ·
On the reply to thread page look at the bottom and you'll see another section called Additional Options in there you'll see the attach file section click on the Manage attachments and you can put them in there off your pc. Hope this helps.
Cheers Brett

#20 ·
TD302 said:
On the reply to thread page look at the bottom and you'll see another section called Additional Options in there you'll see the attach file section click on the Manage attachments and you can put them in there off your pc. Hope this helps.
Cheers Brett
OK .... here it goes....
First pic is Corty 1 I bought off an old couple here in WA negotiating was easy cause he didn't want to take it up north with him so he suggested $1 for every cc...2nd pic is after i spent $2,500 for a really sh*tty paint job on the same car 3rd & 4th is the one I bought from a m8 of Steve Mclarrens in ACT and 5th is a rough and I stress rough photopaint job when I was putting my ideas together...hope this clears up some confusion

Regards

Tim
(TD_2_NV aka FunkyTD)

Attachments

#21 ·
I like the dual exhaust cut outs, very neat. I was going to do that but I already painted the car so was too late :BW: It just runs twin 21/2 to the diff then into a single 3" mandrel bent into a 8" barrel muffler. Looks ok but with the alloy radiator sitting under the support panel everyone thinks it's a bloody turbo 6 with a FMC... until I start it up anyhow. Also is that a XC GXL style fuel filler cap? What donk are you putting in it? Coming together very nice :hy: .
Cheers Brett :beer2:

#22 · (Edited)
TD_2_NV said:
Hey Tara (Norm?)

Car show in Feb (Well it was this year) is Motorvation details at www.motorplex.com.au and then we got All Ford Day 2005 at I guess the same location which was Bassendeen Oval This year there was only 1 TC on show....for sale purposes only the guy wanted $4.5k stock standard (I pmsl)
i saw the brown cortina there. it wasnt anything special. i pmsl as well. i wouldnt pay more than a few hundred for something like that. i was a bit disappointed though it was the only cortina.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.