429 blower Q?'s - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 22:13   #1 (permalink)

429 blower Q?'s

Hello all ,
I'm new to this forum and rather naive to this specific topic so go easy.
OK, the story is, I'm putting a 429 into an XB hardtop(complete groundup rebuild of the whole deal), and a friend has told me he has a contact in Japan that may be able to get me a supercharger to suit this engine real cheap. Over there they only keep their vehicles for around 5000-6000 klms because they're so cheap, so said blower will be second-hand, but in reasonable knick(hopefully!?!). Ive chosen the 429 over the 460 simply because it is a little more unique in Australia and it has a slightly better rev range.
Questions:
I'm going to invest in the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads(CJ ports), which come in two sizes, 75cc and 95cc chambers. As I understand a low compression ratio is appropriate for supercharging, so the 95cc heads would be the obvious choice. But if I decide not to use the supercharger then I am left with a really expensive set of heads and low compression . Can you open up the chambers on the 75cc heads easily if I do use the S/C. What do you reckon folks?

What is the prefered system for this application(centrifugal, screwtype....)? The car is mainly going to be a show peice, but it will be registered and it will be driven to shows and local strips.

If the blower type that I use requires that I have to cut open the bonnet then does anyone know what the legalities are for equipment (say a bloody big bird catcher) sticking out of the bonnet in NSW? I,ve heard lots of different ideas on the rules but no definites.

Cheers people, I look forward to any comments.
I'm going up the pub while you all come up with some answers
Jikbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004, 06:05   #2 (permalink)
Rather be drag racing

Re: 429 blower Q?'s

75 cc can be opened up to 95cc but would be very time consuming = $$$
If you don't want to use the supercharger, domed pistons and head shaving can be used to bring the compression ratio up to an acceptable level.

Those heads would be an excellent choice for a street driven car.

Regarding choice of blower type you can't beat the look of a polished rootes blower sitting on top but then officer plod will take a keener interest in your ride. Can't have everything!

BTW, if you haven't purchased an engine yet, go for the bigger 460, it's free horsepower. Just my opinion.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:59   #3 (permalink)

if you want to be different and make big power throw a turbo on it or to for that fact i rekon 6-8psi would make 600rwhp and ^^^torque

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:34   #4 (permalink)
She's a bit smokey :P

The only stock production superchargers to come out of japan were ones like the
1GGZE supra and 4AGZE toyota levin superchargers the same as Castlemaine Rod Shop use in their kits they cost about $350 each and are maxxed out on a 3.8L so putting one on a 7.2L will be useless go twin turbo if you want to be a little different
2x1000W 12in subdoofers, splits,
TE cortina,Toyota Supra,TD cortina
460Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 16:28   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Single T76 and injected 800h.p EASY torque would be hard to measure on chasis dyno!!! Too much wheel spin..And revs would be no more than 4000 rpm...That is a big problem!!!
Yes unless there are some imported Vortech, Paxton,Eaton,Kenny Bell,Procharger,powerdyne etc etc there is no blowers from Japan atleast on there engines std that will work...Unless its 429 cc...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O