Acl Race Series Kit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 23:29   #1 (permalink)

Acl Race Series Kit

Went to Repco and for my Ford Fairmont EbII 92: they quoted me $740 or there abouts for an ACL race series kit. Including pistons, gaskets, bearings, rings, everything.

I need to know what you guys think of them, and how much boost they are capable of handling, i am wanting to turbo the ford. Thanx guys.
La ChroniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 03:50   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Acl Race Series Kit

They are O/K they don't recomend forced induction but they hold together good..Just make sure you get dished pistons, as they can be higher comp with little or no dish in them...A EB ll with 4.0 is 8.8 compression std pistons take 15 Lb and 225 rwkw..If your tune is good they take 300 rwkw...They look stronger than std piston especially around pin area...A bad tune will kill any piston/ engine though...I recomend O ringing head and fitting copper gasget as well, from ACL....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:36   #3 (permalink)

Oh ok cool. So it is not a bad option to fit the ACL kit, but they aren't at the top of the line for forced induction.

So are you saying the ACL pistons will take 300rwkw, but must be dished pistons right? Is an AU gasket sufficient, i could of sworn that people use AU copper head gaskets in their turbo applications, am i right? (by the way what is O ringing the head, and what does it do?)
Old 05-08-2005, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

O ringing head and fitting stainless .8 mm wire in groove crush's them to prevent blow through...Multi layer gasgets like AU are ok but don't lower compression...Often they fit up to or more than .080 thick gagsets to lower comp with copper gasgets and can be re-used...They come in various thickness..Btw there's not much point going more expensive than ACL unless you upgrade rods..But again std engine run reliable with over 250 rwkw with good tune...ACL pistons and ARP bolts should be enough...There's plenty of good blocks at wreckers for $600.00 so why wast money ???
R.I.P Possum...
Old 05-08-2005, 17:44   #5 (permalink)

hello there, so if you were to get your head oring, does your block have to be done as well, or not, cheers.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:08   #6 (permalink)

So you reckon just go ACL, and if something happens or breaks, than i can just buy a new motor at a wreckers??? What if i was looking for 300, or 350kw at the wheels, is that still an achievable result with the ACL kit?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:41   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

How much do you want to spend? I know where to get top quality rods for $1500 [$250 each] pistons for same price..Hypo pistons within reason will hold up with good tune BUT rods are suspect IMO much over 300 kw..Atleast ARP bolts at that level...Look at WRX they use cast pistons but fairly good rods...Up to 400 h.p anyway...

You can O ring either..Not both...Then smear silicon evenly on both surfaces including gasget..I like stainless washer on alloy head bolts too..Less friction, tighens better...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42   #8 (permalink)

im in tha same boat, i have already fitted acl race pistons etc and are now turboing it, im currently trying to decide if i'll push 300rwkw with them, im aiming for 15-17psi. i know of two examples using those pistons, and both make ova 400rwkw, SO i guess im a safe bet at 300rwkw and no more.....

BTW, the 400+ kw examples both retain standard rods...
Old 05-11-2005, 19:12   #9 (permalink)

Yeah.

The example of the TURBO ED in the new "Street Fords" mag has this in the engine:

* The block was O-ringer and fitted with ACL Race Series pistons, rings, bearing and gaskets. The rods have been polished and shotpeened, and the crank has been de-burred.

* AU copper head gasket

This is what he is running? With 620hp at the wheels with 21psi. So the rods are standard but have been shotpeened. and the pistons aren't forged are they, just performance light weight aren't they? I was told by Jim Mock motorsport that u cannot buy forged pistons from ACL for ea-el, BA u can. But i suppose the question is, is it completely necessesary to run forged pistons?

I would like to aim for around 300kw at the wheel, would it be necessary for me to run forged pistons, what are the answers, im quite confused?
Old 05-11-2005, 21:40   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Good hypo [can't spell the rest] pistons are o/k which is what ACL pistons are I guess rpm is not going to be high so piston speed to a point doesn't come into it..With hypo pistons they are hi silicon which allows tighter clearances..Forged pistons need extra clearance in most cases..Seeing this engine is boosted I'd go with the tighter clearance as good ring seal is important.. Though I'd add alittle more clearance due to heat / power level...Same with rings..
On a turbo engine there is some load on piston during exhaust stroke that helps rods from stretching and breaking its the rods bolts on downward that breaks rod bolts in hi rpm situations....
R.I.P Possum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O