Ford Forums banner

Actuator Vacume

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
on my twin turbo set up (internal wastegated),each actuator of course has a vacume outlet,these both run into a t-piece and follow on into a piece of vacume hose that holds a little inline restrictor that holds boost at 10 psi and thats where it all stops.

i know we should all know how to set up these basic boost controllers (old skool restrictors and boost taps) but ive had a complete brain fart, am i wrong in thinking that after the restrictor(or a boost tap) that the actualors should have manifold vacume feed from the inlet(inlet manifold).

you see before i ripped the car apart i noticed this but thought ahhh stuff it its working fine but i did have a few problems with it not wanting to hold boost right b4 i changed my set up...

suggestions?

#2 ·
You will only get vacuum if its connected to inlet or up stream from throttle body???
The boost controler fits on this line...
I don't quite get what you are asking ????

#3 ·
i know its a bit confusing and hard to explain.

lets forget about the twin turbos and think of a single

the actuator has a outlet on the top which used to run into a little restrictor(which held boost at 10psi) and dat was it.it vented straight to atmosphere.
now wat i was asking is that i was under the impression that the line off the top of the actuator is meant to run to the inlet manifold so that when the desired pressure is reached the actuator opens the wastegate and bleeds off boost.

if what i just said is right, im wondering why my actuator was never connected to the manifold yet still produced 10 psi...

is dat explained any better?

#4 ·
the actuator has a outlet on the top which used to run into a little restrictor(which held boost at 10psi) and dat was it.it vented straight to atmosphere.
now wat i was asking is that i was under the impression that the line off the top of the actuator is meant to run to the inlet manifold so that when the desired pressure is reached the actuator opens the wastegate and bleeds off boost.

if what i just said is right, im wondering why my actuator was never connected to the manifold yet still produced 10 psi...
the line from the top of the actuator is ment to have boost going into it (directly from turbo or from inlet manifold) the restrictor goes on this line so the actuator gets fooled into thinking theres not as much boost as there really is. if the actuator isnt connected at all your turbos will be running at there max boost all the time???

am i wrong in thinking that after the restrictor(or a boost tap) that the actualors should have manifold vacume feed from the inlet(inlet manifold).
yes, your wrong, that would defeat the purpose of the restrictor or tap.

turbo/inlet manifold---------boost tap---------actuator
nothing inbetween.

correct me if im wrong.

#6 ·
The restrictor MAY also be there to stop or prevent surging between the two turbo's...
Essentually slowing down to prevent spikes...

On some factory cars they also may have some kind of boost control adjustment through having some low presure on other side of diaphram to raise boost..Much like an external waste gate..??? With some kind of bleed off valve inside car or an electronic adjuster ? hth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.