Boost question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 01:31   #1 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Boost question

If a car (supercharged) makes 9 psi in 4th gear, does that mean it should also make 9 psi in 1st gear???
Reason i ask is because on the dyno my car was making just under 9psi but the max boost it makes in 1st gear (according to my boost gauge) is about 6 psi. Or are boost gauges not that accurate?

Cheers, Dave.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Boost question

If it was turocharged I'd say yes.But I guess load plays into it as well although with S/C boost is more linial to revs compared to turbo...Not that we are comparing...Also revs and load may not be taken as high in first gear...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:35   #3 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Boost guages are accurate enough. ebxr8240 is on the right track with load to an extent. It's more to do with flow rates, in that at high revs you'll have more flow through the engine and in different gears you'll have different flow as well due to torque etc etc.

At least that's my theory, I'm no physicist. You can creep up the revs and not make any boost at all at times so that's my evidence. Hehe.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:53   #4 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

what sort of supercharger? If its positive displacement then it should have the same boost regardless of gear. Technicaly same should be true of centrafugal.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:42   #5 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

It's a centrifugal blower - 9psi Powerdyne.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O