Budget EA Turbo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 00:49   #1 (permalink)

Budget EA Turbo

Hi all,

Im only new around here. I bought an old EA falcon 5 speed MPI a few months ago as a cheap run-around car.
Ive been doing some reading and turbos seem pretty popular on these things.
I have so far built a twin turbo 253 in a VH commodore and I have turboed a GSXR1100.
I know how to do everything I am just after some advice.
I want to do this as cheap as possible. I have too many bills at the moment and can't afford to buy everything so Im going to try and make as much as I can myself.
Ive got a Holset turbo (I think it is a HX50) from a cummins 555 diesel.
Specs are:
holset
kit: 3803129rx
assy: 3504t56
serial: A du k 01

compressor 0.73 a/r
compressor wheel id - 60mm
compressor mouth - 103mm OD
compressor outlet - 55mm

turbine 0.84 a/r
turbine wheel - id - 72mm
turbine outlet id - 91mm

Im fairly sure it is too large but I got it for free so I may as well try it.
I only want to run about 6-7PSI with premium/optimax & water injection no intercooler.
I want to make a basic log-type exhaust manifold using steam pipe bends.
I would prefer to keep the stock injectors and I was thinking of using/building a jaycar digital fuel adjuster and possibly the stock fuel pump. I was thinking about using a 8:1 fmu or maybe a 5th injector wired through a hobbs switch and parallel with one of the other injectors.
I basically want to make a poormans BA xr6 turbo.
I would like boost to start at around 1500-2000rpm and I dont rev past 4500rpm.
What would be a good cheap turbo to use if the one I have is too big?
I am confident I can do everything for under $1000. Im a qualified mechanic and I have all the tools/welders to do the job.
Any advice that anyone could give me would be really appreciated.

Luke.
luke111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 04:21   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Budget EA Turbo

What are the inducer and Exducer sizes?I'm using a 2.416 inducer 3.227 exducer wheel on comp side and hot side [turbine] 2.920 inducer 2.420 exducer wheel trim 76
AR. 63 as twins on a V8...
Sixws go well with high A.R's but Holset are usually big turbo's..It will go well on a six...Make sure you have 48mm wastegate ....
Good luck with using std enjectors..May as well us the cheaper Hawk ,ems Stinger,Microtec. for around $1k...
Std injectors are not realy up to it either...
In any case atleast a 984 Bosch fuel pump
I'd say 600 h.p plus
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:41   #3 (permalink)

I have found out i have a HC3 Holset off a cummins 504 V8 diesel.
These engines are rated at 290HP at 2800rpm so if my 3.9 is 238 cubes and I divide 504/238=2.12*2800rpm = should be good for around 5900rpm on my 3.9.
This should work out well. I will take some pictures and post them tonight. this turbo is massive. ive worked out the compressor is roughly the same as a Garrett 60-1.
I have spent quite a few hours today (at work) reading through the "600rwhp ed topic" and most of my questions have been answered there.
luke111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:59   #4 (permalink)

luke , if you look at the 'v8owners' forum in the uk ,and go to the your cars section ,look at the heading 'my intro ' this tvr has a hc3 as its first stage turbo .id be interested to know how you got on with the project? as the tvr is mine .
ivanhoew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 20:53   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

This dimensions helps also in specs...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 14:22   #6 (permalink)

HX35's are cheap and quite available. Lot's of guys are dumping them from their Cummins trucks and upgrading.
JunkyardTurbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 18:30   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke111 View Post
Hi all,

Im only new around here. I bought an old EA falcon 5 speed MPI a few months ago as a cheap run-around car.
Ive been doing some reading and turbos seem pretty popular on these things.
I have so far built a twin turbo 253 in a VH commodore and I have turboed a GSXR1100.
I know how to do everything I am just after some advice.
I want to do this as cheap as possible. I have too many bills at the moment and can't afford to buy everything so Im going to try and make as much as I can myself.
Ive got a Holset turbo (I think it is a HX50) from a cummins 555 diesel.
Specs are:
holset
kit: 3803129rx
assy: 3504t56
serial: A du k 01

compressor 0.73 a/r
compressor wheel id - 60mm
compressor mouth - 103mm OD
compressor outlet - 55mm

turbine 0.84 a/r
turbine wheel - id - 72mm
turbine outlet id - 91mm

Im fairly sure it is too large but I got it for free so I may as well try it.
I only want to run about 6-7PSI with premium/optimax & water injection no intercooler.
I want to make a basic log-type exhaust manifold using steam pipe bends.
I would prefer to keep the stock injectors and I was thinking of using/building a jaycar digital fuel adjuster and possibly the stock fuel pump. I was thinking about using a 8:1 fmu or maybe a 5th injector wired through a hobbs switch and parallel with one of the other injectors.
I basically want to make a poormans BA xr6 turbo.
I would like boost to start at around 1500-2000rpm and I dont rev past 4500rpm.
What would be a good cheap turbo to use if the one I have is too big?
I am confident I can do everything for under $1000. Im a qualified mechanic and I have all the tools/welders to do the job.
Any advice that anyone could give me would be really appreciated.

Luke.
a hx 50 will start to make boost at nearly 4000 rpm but can make 900 hp. ste standard injectors are good for fu c k all . if u ran this tirbo the standard injectors would be too small at even 4-5 psi cause of the huge amount of air from that turbo. wat u can do is get a cheap t3/t4 for the low rev range power u want and use 4psi as thats the max a standard ecu will handle befor it cant read boost, and use an adjustable fuel reg and a n o44 bosch pump and it will work, people have done itb4
rorycollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O