Cams - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 03:25   #1 (permalink)

Cams

What sort of change would be expected from putting a turbo cam in over the stock EF cam? More Hp less lag?
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2004, 03:41   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Cams

What specs is the turbo cam? The Crow ll seems to work well. Even XR6 but I doubt it will make much difference unless pushing the limits.
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 14:19   #3 (permalink)

Generally a turbo grind has wider lobe centres than stock. This means a smoother idle, less peak torque, and lazier throttle response. In return it tends to produce slightly more top end hp and more AVERAGE torque.

You could theoretically put in a larger turbo grind than your stock EF cam and you should be able to make more hp and still have almost the same idle.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

look at the LSA of a LS1 cam for an example
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 23:11   #5 (permalink)

I was thinking of using the crow stage 2, but was unsure if it was suited to turbocharging, i am weighing up weather or not to change cams at this point in time, i have very little lag, and excellent touque althrough the rev range, and i wouldn't want to lose anything, especialy engine response, or increased lag.
at the current moment being an auto from a stand still i nail the car and have approx 1 second before hitting full boost.
Old 01-17-2004, 00:07   #6 (permalink)

If you are still using the std EA cam, going mildly larger than this shouldn't cause any problems. The std cam is so small go a little larger will generally improve performance everywhere.

When I turbocharge my motor I will go a custom cam. I will be aiming for 190-200 degrees @.050" with 480-500" lift on a 114 LSA and I will install it at 110-112 IC. Installing the cam advanced will get back any lost low speed torque.

If you want to use the crow cam they should be able to cut that grind on a wider LSA and advanced for no extra charge. By default all their grinds are 1 degree advance.

Also I should point out that the main reason I want a custom cam is because I will be running stock compression on pump fuel. Spreading the LSA helps lower the octane requirements. Also a lot of today's factory cars run wide LSA's std, LS1=116, Holden efi=116.

Last edited by not ford; 01-17-2004 at 00:15.
Old 01-17-2004, 15:51   #7 (permalink)

Yes spreading the LSA will help lower the static compression but isn't advancing the cam going to increase the static compression again, and therefore ending up close to where you started,

I don't have the EA cam its the EF cam, isn't the EA EFI cam bigger than the EF?

I thought the turbo cams where more designed to have a far greater exhaust flow through extended duration and lift on the exhaust side, not by changing the Lope seperation.
Old 01-17-2004, 21:20   #8 (permalink)

Advancing the cam just changes the opening and closing events. What this does is basically move the breathing efficiency around a little. Advance more bottom end, retard more top end.

Nos and blower grinds are like you have said, something is shoving the charge in for you. Turbo grinds tend to be single pattern or larger intake, this is supposed to keep the exhaust gas moving faster and help spool up.

The EA cam is smaller than your cam, EF is around EB XR6.
Old 01-18-2004, 23:42   #9 (permalink)

In the ford workshop manual i have, EA EFI cam has more lift than that of the EB XR6, 6.16mm intake and 5.76 exhaust compared to the 4.0L XR6 reading 6mm intake and 5.76 exhaust. Durations being a lot bigger on the XR6 thou, being 17/63 intake to 65/11 exhaust compared to xr6 being 14/66 intake to exhaust 62/18, which basically tells me that the XR6 has a greater duration on intake but not on exhaust but the valve events occur later, causing more lobe seperation. and slightly more kw's.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:01   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Strange how engines differ mm/ff did a test on 5 Ltr V8 and found less duration on exhaust helped turbo spool etc..With specs like 218* @50 inlet and 210 exhaust..This was an Ed Curtis cam.. Which is a custom cam..The heads are aftermarket TFS stg 2...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O