Ford Forums banner

Carby turbo 250 cross flow....

23K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  73gscoupe 
#1 ·
Gday, as you might already no im doing up the XA as a project car now. Ive just started on the body and i probally wont get to the engine side of things for a while. My engine choice was a 351 Cleveland but after going in my mates VL turbo wagon with 180 rwkw im thinking a turbo 250 cross flow would be good for power and something different. Now i dont no very much about turbos. I dont really want to put the car on straight gas and im to much of a tight arse to go injection. This leaves the good old carby. I've seen a few turbo 245's and 265 Hemis running around using carbys and hear they are getting quite good power doing it this way. Ive got lots of questions so if any one can help i would be very appreactive.

What brand of forged low compression pistons are the go?

2 or 4 barrel carby which one should i use, If 4 barrel will vacume senondarys be alrite i.e 465 Holley vac sec?

I would like it to be intercooled but no nothing about it so any help there would be great.

How much could i pick up a reco T4 turbo for?

Thanks in advance Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey, was that a yellow XD on gas? If it was the same car he was using a standard EFI cam on an otherwise stocker with a T03... OR was that Dave's old XF holley carbed engine?

By the way, Billy Kakaras XE Fairmont carby turbo 250 crossflow ran 10.40 @ 127mph backing off on friday night... Not too shabby!!!

#6 ·
you can still go an intercooler if you choose a blow through setup but not a suck through. Ive heard you can get holleys setup to run boost but apparently its tricky. Just wondering why you dont want gas? it has a higher octane rating than premium and it means you can't get done for emissions.

#8 ·
Any forged pistons are good, just avoid the lightweight racing ones. I have speedpro in mine, but I would just go the cheapest you can find.

4 barrel gives you the ability to tune the motor better, you can jet the secondarys up to supply fuel for boost, and still run a sensible size primary. A 500 2 barrel could be modified to work well, would be alot cheaper than a DP too. Dont use vac secondary carbs, its too difficult to mod them for boost. And dont go a suck thru system.

You will only need a cooler above 10 psi. A cooler will set you back $600+ for something decent.

I have no idea what a reco t4 is worth. they tend to be expensive because everyone wants em.

Whats your budget for a motor, and how much fabrication can you do yourself?

#9 ·
You should see if you can hook up with a parts place in or around Japan, the turbo will only cost you around $100 - $150 and the same for postage. They only drive their cars for 5-6 thousand k's and then get a new one cause they're so cheap, hence there are lotsa spares over there and they're in near new condition.
Just a thought anyway

#10 ·
Holleys are the best to use in a blow thru application because they are cheap, plentiful and easy.

To blow thru them you need to:

use a Double Pumper ONLY
cut off the choke horn
Use nitropyl floats or foam fill the bass ones.
block off the choke arm hole in the body.
boost reference the fuel pump or use a mallapassi reg.

That should get you about 80% there.

The two options are then to use some form of secondary fuel enrichment or jet the Holley fat to compensate for the extra air mass. The second method normally makes poor fuel economy if you. The best method I have seen was two secondary injectors on a seperate fuel system which kicked in under boost, the driveability of this setup would have been very good.

By the time you get the tune right to efi your setup would cost almost the same. The efi manifolds are worth nothing and a microtech is 100 times more sophisticated than a Holley and would only cost about $800 with a total of about 3 hours with a good tuner. My friend went from Holley to Kalmaker and would never go back.

#11 ·
RUNRVS said:
Hey, was that a yellow XD on gas? If it was the same car he was using a standard EFI cam on an otherwise stocker with a T03... OR was that Dave's old XF holley carbed engine?

By the way, Billy Kakaras XE Fairmont carby turbo 250 crossflow ran 10.40 @ 127mph backing off on friday night... Not too shabby!!!

Yeh that was daves old setup

#13 ·
The other one is a Draw through. This is where the carby is before the turbo- this one can't be intercooled because the fuel vapour won't pass through the tubes properly. Blow through sits on the manifold- or after the turbo anyway. Therefore you can run an intercooler between the turbo and the carby.

#14 ·
Blow through is the one i would be intrested in doing then because i would like to run a intercooler. Does this sound about right?

DP Holley
4 barrel Redline intake manifold
Custom cam
Forged low comp pistons
Balanced crank and rods
Exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler and plumbing

Will a double pumper Holley be to big for a 250?

#16 ·
XAFAIRMONT, please don't take offence to this but do you know the reasons why you want an intercooler?

Anyway, there are ways you can do it with an intercooler and carby, similar to how some of the old school Holden V8 guys have been running centrifugal superchargers with carby's. There is an inlet cowl that goes on top of the carby and tapers into a pipe which is where you could join your intercooler pipe. Ask George at Haddad Race Cars how he does it with his 9.4 second HQ Streeter

#19 ·
RUNRVS,I was told if i dont run an intercooler i would have to use menathol and water to cool the turbo. I may be wrong as i dont no much about turbos im just looking into it at the moment.
By the way have any of you guys seen the brown Charger at the Easternats with a big front mont cooler on it and the plates SLO265. This beast was supercharger/carby setup. Made anought toruqe to crack the paint in the roof....

#22 ·
fuel system can be either mechanical or electric. Mechanical you can run the factory pump if its good enough, or a performance mechanical pump. then run a boost line to the pump. dead easy and cheap - as long as it can flow the fuel needs.

other option is efi pump and boost referenced regulator. EFI pump gives high pressure needed to force fuel into the carby under boost. you will need all the usual efi trappings - return line etc. pumps retail for about $400, regs for about $200, and a second fuel line will set you back about $80 (you can do it cheaper). Your ordinary holley electric carb pumps are not suitable for blowthrough carbs.

You wont be sorry going for forced induction - Gives great performance without having to wring the neck off your motor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.