Compiling list for Turbo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2003, 10:10   #1 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Compiling list for Turbo

Well ive decided to scrap the NA power route and head for the turbo route.

Now, as im frequently broke ive decided the best way to go about it is to list everything i need to install a turbo system, down to oil lines and heat wrap. So far ive decided on the following.

EF/L block
EF/L Crank + Rods (mabey shotpeened)
EA Pistons, ACL Race 20thou over
Stock EF head (mabey EA head with swirl chamber machined out)
EF/L inlet manafold
The engine will be rebuilt using all new bearings etc and fully balanced

As for the turbo setup ive been thinking of the following

2 x VG30/T04e hybrids.
a single turbo of this description has been used by a friend to make 250rwkw @ 13psi on a RB25DET. With no machining on the turbine snout it make 15psi @ 2500rpm on a 2.5L engine, however this was to much flow for the engine and the turbine snout was machined out to slow down the flow rate and turbine RPM, eventualy 15psi was obtained by 3800rpm.

Now with a 4L motor 2 of these (unmodified snouts) should be making 9psi by arround 2500rpm, yet still be able to easly push 15-17psi if nead be.

I have not thaught about piping, exhaust manafold or intercooler aspects of the setup.

Im wondering what people this of this setup, and any ideas and comments regarding this setup. My first concern would be regarding the fact that 2 VG30/T04e turbos could be to large for an auto street car.

Btw, the fueling system will be by means of a GRA straight gas setup so no work with the ECU/fuel system need be worried about.

Cheers

Ill take it as a complement i think.............

Last edited by Walkinshaw; 09-10-2003 at 10:23.
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
Re: Compiling list for Turbo

ok walky-

good choice on the ef/l bottom end with the ea acl race pistons (reading my post i see ;-) lol)

do not run the ea head tho as it flows very poorly compared to later model heads. i'd suggest a stnd eb xr head or a stock ef head. The acl ea pistons run a 11.3cc dish in them compared to the ef 8cc ones and a static compression ratio of 9 to 1 will be fine for boost aplications up to 20 psi.

as for your turbo choice i'd strongly advise you to grab a single t04.

2 t03/4 hybrids will be too large for a regular street driven auto car.

a t4 (in the right combo will hit boost by 2000 rpm and will hold boost to 5500rpm and generate 400rwhp on 15 psi)

as for cooler piping run the same size piping as the turbo compressor outlet to the cooler. Run a bar and plate intercooler approx 600x300x75/90 and then a 3 inch pipe from cooler to inlet plenum.

as for you intake just run the standard ea/ed intake its much better suited to boost applications as you get shorter boost piping.

with manifolds and cooler and the turbo stuff pm me mate i fab all this stuff and i'd love to help you out more such as helping you design a manifold etc.. or if ya have anymore questions just ask!!

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 15:51   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

T25 or 28's would be much better than t3's in a twin set up.Twins maybe cheaper to buy and have intergrated wastgates BUT there is more fabricating of the manifolds to work out.. Remember while engine is apart to weld a return line/s in sump...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 16:43   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Walkinshaw,

If you haven't already read the Zoom article from a few years back called "Workhorse Wakeup" you should. It's a relatively cheap twin turbo install onto a XG ute (there the ones with the EB 4.0l).

I have found most of the article on the web here (<=click).
Though one issue is missing, anyone know where to find it?

It started with cheap and plentiful turbo's from a VG20DET Nissan which proved a tad small and later upgraded to Nissan T3's.

With some tuning still to go it was producing a mountain of torque and 230kw at the rear treads. A fun workshop ute!
Old 09-10-2003, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

If you have cash to burn go the single turbo route but if your a cheap ass like me some good turbo's would be t28's (damn expensive normally but if you can get them cheap your laughing) ct26's toyota turbos that are cheap and easy to get because they come on some of the 4wd cars and there is a ball bearing version.
Or the vg30 maxima turbos.
The EA heads don't flow as much stock but with the swirl chamber lip removed they have the highest chamber size and combines with the ACL pistons will leave you with about 8.5:1 comp ratio while I believe the Other heads will be slightly higher with ACL pistons.
I agree with staying with the old manifold as it would have more direct piping from the intercooler.

One thing though if your running a gas setup maybe you want to ditch the intercooler and run water injection instead? LPG turbos have big problems with backfire that blow the pipes off and would damage the cooler.
Old 09-10-2003, 21:53   #6 (permalink)
{';'}

How much would a typical application like this cost on an EB-ED on petrol? I'm talking about a stock car, with all the manual labor done by a proper mechanic and sourcing the parts yourself... Would the standard four-speed auto be able to take that much power?

Cost of parts?
Cost of labor?

Would it be less than five grand?

Excuse my minimal knowledge in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 21:54   #7 (permalink)

Cost was the main reason i was staying away from a big single setup. For a single i was looking at a GT45 or highflowed T04e both which will be over $2k for the turbo alone.

Cheers for all the replys guys. Im very busy for the next few hours at uni, but once i get home ill investigate it further and post back.

Old 09-10-2003, 22:43   #8 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

there is a basic non intercooled setup from someone for $5000 including turbo, manifold, piping and a unichip far out I can't remember who though sorry dude.
Old 09-10-2003, 22:51   #9 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: Re: Compiling list for Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
...far out I can't remember who though sorry dude.
That'd be TSA (Turbo Systems Australia), also known as GRA (Gas Research Australia)

http://www.gasresearchpc.com.au/html...australia.html

Last edited by RAPTOR; 09-10-2003 at 22:54.
RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:39   #10 (permalink)

With LPG is an air to air intercooler a good idea as backfiring with LPG can occour and possably severly damage the intercooler. Would a smaller water to air IC, or water injection be a better method? Also, i know with the turbo setup more than likely i will require two converters and a highflow tank.

Regarding two T3/4 hybrids being to much for the car, would two standard T3's be a better match as the compressor wheel is of standard size and not uprated to the T4 wheel.

A single turb is really out of the question as a good T4/GT42/Trust/HKS of sufficent size and flow will cost the earth compared to two smaller T3 turbos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O