Dream Engine... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2003, 00:56   #1 (permalink)

Dream Engine...

I know this will sound ridiculous to just about every1, but please understand that 1. its something i wanna do if i end up with alot of money and 2. i'll only attempt it if it can actually be done.
Ok so here we go...
I wanna get an EL XR6 engine and strip it down and rebuild it (aim is to get to rev to about 7000..mayb a litte less). I wanna put race pistons in it+race bearings etc. I want titanium conrods and (if possible) a titanium crank- all balanced. I want the head port+polished + better intake (cold air system +all piping to the TB) + better exhaust (extractors). I want a mild(ish) cam (simply bcoz i want to put it to skyline driver that other 6's can sound just as good if not better..but on the road, not the track). What can you get in the way of extremely light flywheels? I want something horrendously light....ummm...and a severly beefed up gearbox etc.
I think the oil and water pump will probably need upgrading to work at high speeds...
I still want to be able to drive the car on the road..so nothing that will make it shake too badly (hence mild cam)
Ofcourse i wanna do all sorts of modifications to the suspension and body etc...try to lose some weight....but just focussing on engine atm.
But suggestions, comments (except "you're an idiot"..)..etc are welcome- particularly interested in info that sez it can't b done...oh yeah- i don't care what it costs
Thanks
DM
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 01:26   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: Dream Engine...

is there a HP goal or a Kw goal you are chasing?

Personally, I think that if you are going for a mild cam, some of the mods listed above are overkill.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:39   #3 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

why dont i see anything about twin T88's ???

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:24   #4 (permalink)

Seeing that you've an endless budget anything is possible. Things like Titanium rods, billet flywheels ect. you can have custom made, of course at a price.

Just a comment on a couple of things, im not sure if they used them in the EL engines or not, but id be inclined to use the crank out of an EF as it was counter balanced and good for harmonics at high revs.... a custom titanium crank would be overkill ( my opinion ).

I also remember something about tourqe being disturbed when toying with the weight of the flywheel ect, not something you want to sacrifice too much of if it's a street driven car.

I respect the choice of trying to make power in N/A form, but in all honesty the same car fitted with the same driveline but turbocharged would make you cry.
st00pid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 00:21   #5 (permalink)

I am aware that all of this is overkill...i specifically DON'T want forced induction...i want to be able to rev it ALOT higher...like 7000 or so- thats why i want titanium parts...titanium is also good because if the stresses in it are below a certain point, fatiguing DOESN'T occur...unlike aluminium.
I'm pretty sure the cam i'd put in wouldn't be mild. I wanted it to be smooth at idle...but if i went as far as i propose, it wouldn't be that smooth- i wouldn't be able to help myself.
I'll repeat it again just to make it clear- the point of doin all this crap is to be able to rev to 7000 or so and QUICKLY. Whatever horsepower i get doesn't matter much...though it will be rather alot higher than the standard engine.
All these upgrades will be coupled with transmission and diff upgrades...and also a little lightening of the car...maybe...
neway..i'll keep dreaming...thanks for your input.
DM
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O