E-series engine into XE ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55   #1 (permalink)

E-series engine into XE ghia

Well a little while back i started a rather ambitious project. Fitting an EF engine into an XE. I promised to write about it when i got some time. I'm actually writing this some 4 months after "finishing" it...reason being i moved to Sweden back in March and i've had alot to ...errrr... distract me in the meantime.

The idea to do this swap was born out of the notion that i wanted to go further in development than the maximum potential of the heavily worked crossflow engine i had at the time. Also it was a bonus that the car was already set up and running a Gas Research system and i already had both the turbo and a 5 speed to suit just laying around. Off i went to the wrecker to get an EF-series engine.

without going into HEAVY details. This conversion was not entirely strightforward. I used heaps of EA parts like engine mounts, radiator, pulleys, p/s pump, alternator etc. Extra jobs were done like detailing, battery relocation, re-wiring. Alot of custom bits were made up, knuckles were scraped and the lords name was taken in vain many times.

I didn't need to worry about the EFI side of things as this car runs straight LPG. I did however install a HALTECH IG5 ignition computer.

I never got to fit the Garret TO4 as my buddy's manifold sat the turbo a little high for my liking...we will make another manifold soon and get that turbo fitted. The turbo is Garret TO4E 0.6 compressor and 1.32 split pulse exhaust no idea what trim wheels or anything but thats waiting for when i get back. For now its just got a 3inch sports system fitted. Don't be decieved by the XR6 TURBO badge on the rocker cover. The engine is standard and it will not be rebuilt until all the turbo gear is fitted in place. The idea being to run a weak tune until the pistons and rods are changed to cope with high boost. Much better than driving around a decomp engine without the turbo fitted (as was the case with my crossflow).

It came out sweet but i didn't actually get it running becasue i needed to borrow a laptop to program the computer and to be honest this was all happening in the last 3 days of being in Australia. There are some really minor things that i want to do better when i get back and have more time to work on it.

The car itself still looks average outside but its straight and rust free so i harbour hopes of getting it cleaned up. I just want to keep it a sleeper.

I might be coming home to Melbourne in September, so i thought i might get active on the forums again and just show people what/where i was up to. When i'm back you will see this driving around and i'll be able to report on how it goes (hopefully pretty bloody good!).

(EDITED: i need to delete some other photos on the forum for this one to fit so keep watching this space). Anyways here is the EF engine all fitted into the XE (see pic).... (DAMNIT the file is point.00001 of a bees' wanger to big) anyone who is really interested can request an emailed piccie).

Opinions, suggestions, power predictions?

Last edited by aaron_hogan; 08-17-2004 at 12:10. Reason: managing photo attachments
aaron_hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 18:55   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: E-series engine into XE ghia

Some one can shrink and post hopefully??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 19:58   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

What did you end up doing about the radiator with the hoses being on the wrong sides of the engine?
Do you have A/C and power steering? if so did you have ot get custom hoses made up for it?
What other custom bits were made up? Would be nice to know every last little detail that could get in the way.

Its good to see that someone has come thru and done it. A lot of people want to do this conversion (me included) but often get put off when they see all the minor things that need to be done had been overlooked.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Welcome back aaron, good to see your still going through with it.

Im sure its been a long wait. Let us know how it goes when your back.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:55   #5 (permalink)

hey whats wrong with driving around in a decomp engine with no turbo fitted???
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:59   #6 (permalink)

haha good to see everybody has come out of the woodwork!

82Falcon: Well Tim there is nothing wrong with driving around with that decomp motor except you would notice that it feels alot stronger in the top end...hope you have it fitted by now with the turbo not far off? You have a 4spd so its probably easier to keep in its power range than it was with my std auto. That is a sweet 250 as is but when you get it hair-dryer equipped i want a ride!

Dansedgli: Dan i take it u have fitted a turbo to the 351 xf! gee i missed alot lately.

Madxf: I used an EA radiator and header tank. I had to ditch the battery to the boot, cut a notch out of the RHF radiator support, fabricate new mounts for the radiator, change the EF water pump to an EA item (hose outlets were different), then change all the pulleys & tensioner to EA, deleted aircon (am stuffing in a big truck cooler hence need the room anyway), got creative and modified the original p/s line (read used pipe bender) but it was only $70 at PIRTEK for a custom line. Similarly PIRTEK could've made up new air-con lines if i wanted. The timing marks were different on the EA and EF harmonic balancers...i kept the EF timing cover and so had to make a new timing marker. Blanked off all the injectors. Used an EA CFI dizzy AND an XE dumb ignition module mounted on a special heat sink. Ummm lots of headaches in other words. You are welcome to take a look someday.

The stuff i still have to do is:
fit a 2nd B2 Gas convertor.
run new lpg service lines.
maybe fit a new tank now mine is out of date.
fit thermo fans and get the BBM switching with the Haltech.
make another manifold and hook up all the turbo bits like TO4, 45mm progate, GFB bov, and 600x270x70 truck cooler. (I thought ahead and already have a 3/4" turbo oil drain into the sump).

As it just needs the base tune put into the Haltech i can drive it as soon as i'm back and then get into the last few bits as quick as possible before i start working again.

I would recommend that if you were going to do it you just go get fully programable computer to get around the niggles of retaining any factory ECU stuff. As it was i needed to change all the sensors to match in with the Haltech. MANY hours spent scratching my head over the wiring diagram and then physically installing it as neat as possible using all the right connectors and tons of heat shrink/insulation/fusing/conduit. Try finding a place to run the wiring through the firewall on a non-efi model!!! I had to buy an $80 hole saw to cut one freakin hole for the grommet (used an old one from a spare loom). Put the hole on the passengers footwell up near the heater box.

Gearbox choice is a big dilemma. I think if i had more cash i would have loved a Tremec T56 or possibly fitted a C4 with a custom bell housing. As it was the manual was the easiest choice as i already had it there. I guess i will be changing diff gears at some point as its still got the ghia LSD with 2.7something ratio. Its not meant to be a drag car or anything, just a powerful street car built on a budget that doesn't get any unwarranted attention.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:31   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_hogan
Dansedgli: Dan i take it u have fitted a turbo to the 351 xf! gee i missed alot lately.
Nope but Hopefully this weekend I will be picking up my Turbo EB from the workshop. I sold the XF to make way for a car with a more friendly petrol bill to suit the new job that I had, which I dont have anymore.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 23:07   #8 (permalink)

Yeah im still driving it around sans hairdryer, but keep it above 2700 and it pulls hard! I'm not far off the turbo, got everything except the fuel system. Ill give you a ride no worries!
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 13:47   #9 (permalink)

tim: i did say you'd be happy with it! I will be up in Sydney some time soon after getting back...i'll have a bit of time on my hands and i'll probably be staying in Mona Vale when up there.

dan that sounds good on the car front, shit on the work front. Same thing happened to my mate that bought the AIT Turbo ZL fairlane. started rebuilding the engine to go into his XF ghia when he got a new job. 3 months later he gets a redundancy package and the project stalls. Don't be deterred.
Old 05-30-2005, 19:45   #10 (permalink)
EBII GLi 4.0L 4spd LPG

first of all, sorry for bumping an old thread. i wanna stick an EB 4.0L into my XF. i dont have any problems with the radiator mounts, engine mounts, etc but the ECU business scares me a little. i wanna run str8 gas so i dont need fuel pump and that part of the ECU so what else do i need to hook up?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O