eb xr8 + vortech? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 09:00   #1 (permalink)

eb xr8 + vortech?

Im interested in buying a vortech supercharger kit for my eb xr8 falcon. the motor will be recieving a well deserved rebuild and im wanting opinions on any extras i should be inclueding. from what ive read bigger injectors are warranted as is heavier valve springs. ill use some arp fastners for extra security and some decent head gaskets. should i be looking to drop the compression at all? i should add that im not looking for a total strip stormer as the car will be my daily driver but if i can get a little extra hp for a little extra dollars then im all ears!! the car is already fitted with genie extractors and single 2.5" system (just one hotdog muffler) but this is the only mod. the car is currently auto (au s5 solenoid for firm shifts) but i do have a complete t5 conversion in the shed im also considering fitting. any advice would be apreciated.
XA_JG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 10:32   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: eb xr8 + vortech?

Just do a good rebuild with ARP bolts/studs and a good balance. Drop the compression to below 9:1 for an easier tune. All the other normal mods will also help with a blower but aren't really needed as you wll have plenty of power anyway, if you want get a cam with a bit more lift and more exhaust bias.

Injectors and fuel system need to be upgraded, I would suggest some 42lb injectors and a Walbro in-tank 255l/hr pump, that way you don't need to run an FMU which makes tuning much easier. Your EB may be tweecer supported (depending on what EEC it has) which if it is will give you full tunability at a very decent cost.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 19:06   #3 (permalink)

can you recommend a cam off the shelf? do i need to upgrade to roller rockers or will standard rocker gear be sufficient?
Old 05-02-2005, 20:33   #4 (permalink)

Good off the shelf cams are the Crane 2031 or the Trickflow TFS-51402000, and yeah witht hese cams it would be a very good idea to upgrade to roller rockers. As I said it all comes down to how much money you want to spend and how much power you want. The Vortech on a stock engine produces around 200-240rwkw (which is tons for most people), with the cam you will probably look at 220-250rwkw but also improve low down power where the blower isn't producing much boost.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10   #5 (permalink)

also would it be recommended to use a hi volume oil pump? are 42lb injectors easy to get hold of? ie are they oem on a common car?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:15   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_JG66
also would it be recommended to use a hi volume oil pump? are 42lb injectors easy to get hold of? ie are they oem on a common car?
I don't generally like high volume oil pumps for a number of reasons, the Windsor does not generally have any oiling issues and the extra load put on the pump drive shaft can cause failure. I just use a standard oil pump with mine and always get good pressure even with the extra oil running to the vortech (don't think they use very much at all anyway).

Ford Motorsport do 42lb injectors and you can order them from the US fairly easily. A set will cost you $4-500 landed here in Australia.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27   #7 (permalink)

Putting some gt40p heads and an AU inlet would be worthwhile wilst she's apart. Will only help your cause and relativley inexpensive for the gains. The cam will work much better then too.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:27   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Hi vol pump is o/k just get suitable oil shaft..Btw the vortech takes alittle oil supply away as it feeds itself..Its the hi pressure pumps they have issues with..Plus your engine builder will be putting it back together with slightly more clearance I assume being s/c....Including piston clearance etc...
Injectors here..Hi flow injectors..Sale..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O