Ebay - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2005, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

Ebay

i was looking on ebay last week and i saw a car selling a turbo kit to suit ea-ed but the manifold was just a stadard exhaust manifold cut up and had a flange welded on it, would that work right, ???
Low_Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 01:30   #2 (permalink)
Mcccli

Re: Ebay

It would definitely work....how succesfully I'm not sure - It would have to be very solid to hold the weight of the turbo and you might need another bracket to support the manifold. Also check for pictures of an in car set up if possible as to where the turbo would sit and where piping would have to travel etc
mcccy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcccy005
It would definitely work....how succesfully I'm not sure - It would have to be very solid to hold the weight of the turbo and you might need another bracket to support the manifold. Also check for pictures of an in car set up if possible as to where the turbo would sit and where piping would have to travel etc

but wouldnt it be very bad flow looking at the design. and the guy said it hasnt been in a car
Low_Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 17:38   #4 (permalink)
Mcccli

I can only imagine what it looks like....I dont know what a standard exhaust manifold looks like as I bought my car with extractors.
Also, (and don't quote me on this so anyone reading this that knows better, feel free to intervene), you may experience a bit more lag cus of the extra distance the air has to travel from the motor to the turbine, where it would probably also have (slightly) less velocity to spin the turbine, causing even more lag. (Mind you, this lag would be very little, but you would prolly notice it)
mcccy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 00:17   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

This type of manifold has been used a fair bit from what I have seen, and does quite a good job. Obviously it won't flow as well as a tuned length professional design but you don't in most cases you don't need it because the majority of turbo I6's run fairly low boost 6-10psi which will give tons of power anyway. If you were trying to extract every last kw out of the engine then yeah the manifold would be a good place to start but for a cheap and easy setup that manifold would be fine.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O