Finally Turbocharging the EF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 22:42   #1 (permalink)

biggrin Finally Turbocharging the EF

Ok, after many years of "damn I wish I could afford that" and endless research I have FINALLY gotten a few parts. There is a GT35/40R 1.06 and Turbosmart 48mm Progate sitting on the table, so now I'm looking for some advice for other parts for the EF I6.....

I need an exhaust manifold....so here goes (if any of this is even possible in the space avaliable) I'de like a tubular manifold of reasonably equal length design with good split of flow to the wastegate pipe, high or low mount doesn't really bother me but high would be nicer. Log manifolds need not apply. Does anyone know of a good place (that isn't going to cost me the $1600 I've been quoted so far) that puts together custom exhaust manifolds, as no one has one off the shelf for a GT/Progate combo. I'm in WA so somewhere close would be nice, but since shipping isn't THAT expensive anywhere in aus is fine. I get paid next week so thats when I'de like to purchase, if worst comes to worst I supose I'll just have to pay the $1600.

I assume from my research that a bosch 044 pump is fine for my goal of around 400-500rwhp and that 65lb/hr injectors will be enough, for the moment I just want to run 3-5psi like the 600hp ED thread with a rising rate reg and standard injectors till the gearbox is fully sorted then on with either an EMS8860 or SM4 with the new injectors and wind it up to 12pound till the engine dies.... once it dies who knows....either ACL/custom forgies and then I strive for the 400-500atw. If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.....I'll probably either post in the 600hp ed thread or start another when I start the project proper to keep everyone informed.
delta101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 01:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Finally Turbocharging the EF

Mig welder-500 and up
Port plate-50 to 70
Flange plate-30 to 40
.9 Mig wire-100
Gas-200
Helmet-30
Gloves-25

for 1600 you could buy a reasonable welder and build it yourself.

bends are about 5-8$ for a 90* and pipe is dirt cheap, I made mine myself its sooo much easier than you think.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:25   #3 (permalink)

Get onto performanceforums.com or try calaisturbo.net find a guy called 6BOOST, he can make you a manifold, he can probably get you injectors too.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:48   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta101
Ok, after many years of "damn I wish I could afford that" and endless research I have FINALLY gotten a few parts. There is a GT35/40R 1.06 and Turbosmart 48mm Progate sitting on the table, so now I'm looking for some advice for other parts for the EF I6.....

I need an exhaust manifold....so here goes (if any of this is even possible in the space avaliable) I'de like a tubular manifold of reasonably equal length design with good split of flow to the wastegate pipe, high or low mount doesn't really bother me but high would be nicer. Log manifolds need not apply. Does anyone know of a good place (that isn't going to cost me the $1600 I've been quoted so far) that puts together custom exhaust manifolds, as no one has one off the shelf for a GT/Progate combo. I'm in WA so somewhere close would be nice, but since shipping isn't THAT expensive anywhere in aus is fine. I get paid next week so thats when I'de like to purchase, if worst comes to worst I supose I'll just have to pay the $1600.

I assume from my research that a bosch 044 pump is fine for my goal of around 400-500rwhp and that 65lb/hr injectors will be enough, for the moment I just want to run 3-5psi like the 600hp ED thread with a rising rate reg and standard injectors till the gearbox is fully sorted then on with either an EMS8860 or SM4 with the new injectors and wind it up to 12pound till the engine dies.... once it dies who knows....either ACL/custom forgies and then I strive for the 400-500atw. If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.....I'll probably either post in the 600hp ed thread or start another when I start the project proper to keep everyone informed.
$850 for the righ mig
do it your self
I built my exhaust and dual throtle body manifolds in 3 days of work and about 10 hours with the tig and that includes linishing
total cost was under $350 for all materials .
good luck and enjoy as it is worth it . ( I used a to4b with some mods)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 18:16   #5 (permalink)

good plan, i have 35/40 1.06, turbosmart 48mm, and sm4 sitting in the shed plus lots of other crap, i made this manifold to fit my turbo n gate, plus a custom intake manifold

cant post pics, ill do it later 4 ya
Old 09-03-2005, 03:43   #6 (permalink)

I have access to a MIG but unfortunately uni + work = no time for play, 6Boost is also on these forums so I've contacted him - thanks for the advice guys
Old 09-03-2005, 18:27   #7 (permalink)

Try Snort Performance www.snortperformance.com.au, they do tuned length stainless manifold for well under $1600
Good luck..
tjb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:56   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

How much power are you planing on making???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:35   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
How much power are you planing on making???

Right now - as much as 3-5psi gets me till the gearbox is toughened up.

With this turbo after rebuilt motor - around the 500rwhp mark, I think thats insane enough, if the turbo spools up really early or I can live with a little more lag then I suppose later down the track I'de like to push for 800fwhp/600+rwhp with a bigger turbo but I think thats just a pipe dream....to be honest I'll be happy making 400rwhp and anything over is a bonus
Old 09-04-2005, 07:52   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

A GOOD log style is all you need then! No point in heating up engine bay !!!
From 350 rwkw is when tuned length comes into play...
Good log is short, so all heat and exhaust velocity goes straight to turbo, less lag...
Over 15Lb or so is when tuned length / long runners comes into play...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O