High performance Dump pipe's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 03:46   #1 (permalink)

High performance Dump pipe's

I am just about to change my dump pipe on my car, the one i did originally was press bent and the wastegate didn't flow well enough to be able to control boost.

Now i what i am trying to work out is, what would work best. My current exhaust is a Genie 2.5inch mandrel bent system.

Now the turbo has a 2.5inch exhaust out and a 2inch wastegate, now would it work better for more power, if i ran a 2.5 out of the turbo and 2 inch and then combined them and run a 3inch all the way, or if i kept my current 2.5 inch and ran a seperate wastegate exhaust all the way to the back?

Any idea's anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sitting on koni and kings combination
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 04:29   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: High performance Dump pipe's

3" all the way..
Run a divider at turbo flange for wastgate approx 6" down dump pipe so the two exhaust speeds dont cause turbulance with each other...Or as you said.. But run seperate pipe approx 18" and merge at 25/30* angle...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:17   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your help, when i was talking about seperate, i ment that the wastegate pipe wouldn't go into the exhaust it would go out the back of the car with its own tailpipe etc. Is this a viable option? or do you think it wouldn't make much difference?
Old 05-06-2004, 02:41   #4 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

what HP is a 3inch exhaust good for on a turbo 6? When do you need bigger? The outlet on my turbo is 65mm, will a 3" pipe from turbo back be big enough?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:17   #5 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

I'd run three inch all the way thru. Re the wastegate dump pipe, on my turbo tory that does 500+ rwhp I ran the pipe till about the front seats of the car then merged the gate dump pipe where the main 3" pipe turned 45 deg on a particular section (if that makes sense) Keeping them seperate for as long as possible is worth power in my opinion. 3.5" pipe right thru is worth power too but hard to do. Bigger is better IMO.
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 16:20   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

On mine the dump pipe covers both wastgate and turbine as the pipe is just inside flange bolts all the way around and a small divider back down dump pipe.The dump pipe is almost straight parrallel out of turbo no 90* bend as most have..

Pics http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/1401
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:19   #7 (permalink)

Well i have got my dump pipe done, it goes 2.5 out of turbo then approx 6inch's down they combine into a 3inch pipe all the way to the back with straight through mufflers. Sounds great! But i now have 15psi and i was hoping that it would drop, but i still yet to play with the wastegate adjustment, so it still may have fixed the main problem.

But i do have to say that with the new exhaust and 15psi, it makes for a lot of fun!
Old 05-11-2004, 19:55   #8 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

ea turbo clone, are you running an external waste gate?? if so what size??? aswell were did you get the manifold from? how much should i pay for one?? any advice is appreciated too

Ehab
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:44   #9 (permalink)

I am running a internal wastegate, but is external in flow, by that i mean that the wastegate is part of my turbo, but unlike most of them it has a completely seperate dedicated wastegate out on it.

The exhaust manifold i made myself, its a standard manifold, with a hole cut into the side, a 1/4 inch thick shaped plate welded in the bottom, the manifold was then filled with weld and die grinded out to make it flow better. not sure about prices of turbo manifold as it had never crossed my mind to purchase one as mine works fine.

My advice is to do everything right the first time, get a proper timing computer, make sure you have good spark and good timing curb, as if i had this wouldn't of been my third motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O