Installing malpassi reg??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 00:32   #1 (permalink)

Installing malpassi reg???

Anyone know how to tune the reg. It's a 2:1.
I gather the hoses are for vacumn , fuel in , fuel out and a fitting for a fuel pressure gauge. There is a nut and a capped nut on the top ( for setting base pressure i'd guess) but what's the proper method for doing it to an EA turbo. Do i need to remove the old reg or can i just splice into the return line after it. The turbo will be at about 7psi intercooled with a bosch 040 in tank pump which will flow 235lph at 73.5psi. The injectors are 360cc and there's a 380cc aux which can be pressure set to what i want.

Also , how is the crankcase ventilation setup? There's the hose from manifold to the front of the r/cover and one from the back of the r/cover to the throttle body. I know to block up the pipe on the t/body but where do the other hoses go. I was gonna put a catch can in but looking at them , they have 2 inlet pipes + drain plug. I would have guessed the one pipe is from the back of the r/cover but what about the other??
EAtDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 05:28   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Installing malpassi reg???

You undo old fuel reg and fit a short length of efi fuel hose between the two with clamps..The other goes to return line...

We found with those injectors If they are Fms injectors to run good at 50Lb/f.p..Fit good clamps on all joins from pump, including filter..

The PCV hose is o/k but the rear rocker cover MUST come off throttle body, as said plug t/b...This hose goes to vacuum side of turbo [air cleaner] via oil seperator...For epa there is not supposed to be any vent to atmo...
Another vent in rocker cover wouldn't hurt or drill out the rear alittle as they are not originally designed to be turbo'd obviously alittle more blowby is going to accure...Remember pcv blocks off under boost, which it doesn't naturally asperated....
double check the one way valve on brake booster and pcv is holding up on boost....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:07   #3 (permalink)

Do you mean undo the whole reg off the rail? if so , what do you connect the line to cause there isn't a fitting on the rail. It's BBM reg , don't know if they're different for all models but it's smaller than the EA ones and. If i pull it off the rail , undo the 2 bolts etc then there'd be a hole the diameter of the fuel rail. Have you welded a fitting on to yours?

With the tuning side , do you have the car running at idle and tighten the top bolt until you get the right base pressure reading on the gauge (50psi base??) or can it be done without the car running?

BTW cheers for your help with the ventilation. Makes more sense now. I thought the catch can caught the oil then blew the smoke through a filter into the atmosphere. It didn't quite sound right but i kept thinking all the other lines would be pressurised. Didn't even think about the air cleaner cause it's the one thing i'm missing haha.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:33   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

You can just leave the stock reg there, cut the rubber part of the return line (after the furl rail as it returns to the tank), and install the malpassi reg there. The only downside of this is you cannot reduce the fuel pressure, only up it.

To tune the base pressure, have the engien idling, remove the vacuum line to the reg and set the pressure. On most regs I have seen you use an allen key to adjust the screw, the nut is just there to lock it once set.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:07   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. It's so close to being finished (for now 'S') i can taste it. I picked up the last few things today so i'll spend the weekend fitting parts. It'll be so much easier not having to remove the old reg. I realised that the fuel rails are different throughout the models. My EA mpi would have been piss easy to do but the BBM style is too complicated. I was just worried about killing the old reg with higher pressure.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:54   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtDUST
TI was just worried about killing the old reg with higher pressure.
The stock reg should be fine with the increased FP. I would imagine you would run around 40psi base and that would raise to around 54psi under boost which isn't huge (some people run upto 90psi with high rate FMUs).
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 21:57   #7 (permalink)

Will try and get some photo's up now it's been assembled a bit more. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O