Intercooler Cores - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 07:16   #1 (permalink)

Intercooler Cores

ok i know its been done to death but one last time b4 i stick my foot in it

i can get a intercooler core for dirt cheap but the catch is its a truck core...now we all know that truck cores equal pressure drop. ive got a mate who reckons this is very small pressure drop and i shouldnt even worry bout it. what do u guys think is it worth spending a fortune on a proper core. i run twin t25s on a 250xflow at 15psi but am going to a GT40 which im guessing will be on a fair bit more boost.

another thing ive been told to do buy a well known intercooler fabricator is to run my cores vertically as opposed to horizontally to reduce lag and increase power...i really hate the way it looks but ive its going to make me more horsepower i guess i could live with it but it would shit me so much dat only a noticeable power gain would make me go that way...

XFs have huge area behind the bumbper for a intercooler would you all suggest keeping it a moderate size or goin as big as i can????
boss351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 14:20   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Intercooler Cores

I have the so called truck type on mine and its pumping out over 330 rwkw..Yes at that power / flow level there is two Lb difference from each side..Big deal..On the other hand the truck type DO cool or transfere heat better at lower power or boost levels.Just fit big enough cooler and you'll be right...Trouble with verticle i/c there isn't much room for end tanks on latter model cars anyway...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
heard it before!

zoom magazine stuck a nissan GTR intercooler behind the XF/XG front bar when they did the XG XR6 twin nissan turbos on a 4.0 but i think they only ran 6psi plenty of aftermarket coolers for nissans probably be able to find second hand bar and plate one at jap importers i remeber they had to modify the bumper mounts a little. i haven't seen this issue since i lent it to someone a year ago
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:31   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Std GTR coolers are alittle small ..600X300 X75/100 is way better...
From $499
R.I.P Possum...
Old 12-21-2004, 06:02   #5 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

the price of the Hybrid style intercoolers are so cheap its not worth worrying about trying to mod a truck intercooler. On my turbo trana I used a truck bar and plate core cut down and worked great but that was 8 years ago when intercoolers were expensive, no need to do it now. But other truck cores are crap so you cant just generalise with truck cores as they are all different, some good, some bad
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 15:25   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Some say that the Hybrid use truck type cores..AS in the fins inside are at 90* to flow where as others have their internal fins parrellel to flow...But realy If the core is big enough it doesn't matter..Also the Hybrid type works better at low boost levels so it fulls in street car catigory...The are arguments between tube and fin / bar and plate but again its merry go rounds and roundabouts.They cool thats the main issue..Btw I have Hybrid on my car, they work...I said above I lost 2 Lb from turbo to throttle body..BUT when it originally run without intercooler it lost 2 Lb with just the bends and pipe length...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 12-21-2004, 23:16   #7 (permalink)

thnx guys
boss351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O