Ford Forums banner

Intercooler Water Spray

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  outback_ute 
#1 ·
i never really believed in intercooler water spray but the other day the xd was runnin a little hot so i pulled up in the drive way and left it running as i ran the garden hose over the front of the radiator and like by 30 seconds the temp droped all the way from 200F to just bellow 170F. i freaked because the cleveland is a bit of a pig in the heat. it got me thinking about the xf and my intercooler set up...has any one had any good results with running anoother windscreen washer bottle onto the intercooler? do you's think its worth the trouble? if it works as well as my radiator job il b wrapped.

p.s. sorry to all those wrx's i hung shit on for using water spray systems

#2 ·
I have one in my Rex. Ford washer bottle and two mist garden spray jets...Yes on hot days it works..
If I remember correctly from my recent [?] school days it takes 2000 times more air to cool anything than water...

#3 ·
yes water is a very good idea.
I have been running a water to air intercooler for years, and have out done many a/a coolers !
the finer the mist the better as u don't want puddles under the tyres

#4 ·
i was having a good think about water to air coolers but at the end of the day if a front mount air to air works why is it required?i can understand its use in full fledged race cars and dcars but is there really that much to be gained? the systems seem rather complicated and i seem to get the impression they arnt too "everyday" friendly.

what do you all suggest to use to spray the water on the cooler, as in how do you achieve da perfect mist with out getting your tyres wet.

#5 ·
I've been thinking about setting this up to satisfy my curiousity. Thinking about just putting a t-piece on the output side of the washer pump and using this to provide the spray.

People at the lights might wonder why I wash my screen every time I pull up to a set of lights though...

- John

#6 ·
just to try it disconect the washers and go straight to the misters.
when u stand in front of an evaporative cooler u get cool don't u so will the a/a/ cooler !
i use a w/a which is a different principle.

#7 ·
I want to do it for the same reason. Ill use the water washer bottle out of my mini though. It could easily be mounted where the airbox use to be. Im not sure if I have enough room in between the bumper and cooler to mount water jets though.

There are heaps of options to spray the water. Go to bunnings and check out all their irrigation aisles. I might steal some parts off Dad's garden.

#11 ·
water spray is such a good idea... i wish i had a turbo setup just so i could setup a water spray.

you could use it for show off factor as well. like a nitrous purge.. only its just steam coming from the front of the car. (i've been playing too much need for speed underground 2).

#12 ·
the amount of water used depends on how u set it up, also how much flow it has and when it comes on.

the down side if comes on at high boost by the time the thermal reaction has happened you have run out of road.

but can be set up other ways for benefits, which i have done before and has helped extremely well.
oh btw ithooks into the delco real well ! :)

#15 ·
Has anyone seen/tried those cryospray kits that spray carbon dioxide onto your cooler? Never seen them reviewed anywhere. Supposed to be something like a -40 degree charge. I think they even make carbon dioxide/air intercoolers.

- John

#16 ·
v8capri said:
nope, just if you need to do that you are just bandaiding a bigger problem
when ur car boils the quickest way to cool it is to run water over the radiater.
I meant just for extreme conditions, eg after a run at the drags, or on the track where you can have a lot more full throttle time. Sure a bigger radiator etc would help but to pull heat out quickly it would be very effective. Exactly the same scenario as the intercooler really, you don't upgrade to a monstrous cooler just to cope with the most extreme 1% use condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.