Intercooler Water Spray - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 01:25   #1 (permalink)

Intercooler Water Spray

i never really believed in intercooler water spray but the other day the xd was runnin a little hot so i pulled up in the drive way and left it running as i ran the garden hose over the front of the radiator and like by 30 seconds the temp droped all the way from 200F to just bellow 170F. i freaked because the cleveland is a bit of a pig in the heat. it got me thinking about the xf and my intercooler set up...has any one had any good results with running anoother windscreen washer bottle onto the intercooler? do you's think its worth the trouble? if it works as well as my radiator job il b wrapped.

p.s. sorry to all those wrx's i hung shit on for using water spray systems
boss351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2004, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Intercooler Water Spray

I have one in my Rex. Ford washer bottle and two mist garden spray jets...Yes on hot days it works..
If I remember correctly from my recent [?] school days it takes 2000 times more air to cool anything than water...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:50   #3 (permalink)
it's all good fun

yes water is a very good idea.
I have been running a water to air intercooler for years, and have out done many a/a coolers !
the finer the mist the better as u don't want puddles under the tyres
Developed and built by CVE
v8capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:05   #4 (permalink)

i was having a good think about water to air coolers but at the end of the day if a front mount air to air works why is it required?i can understand its use in full fledged race cars and dcars but is there really that much to be gained? the systems seem rather complicated and i seem to get the impression they arnt too "everyday" friendly.

what do you all suggest to use to spray the water on the cooler, as in how do you achieve da perfect mist with out getting your tyres wet.
boss351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
needs more rubber

I've been thinking about setting this up to satisfy my curiousity. Thinking about just putting a t-piece on the output side of the washer pump and using this to provide the spray.

People at the lights might wonder why I wash my screen every time I pull up to a set of lights though...

- John
Next: Slicks and a C4, knocking on 9's! Turbo Guru's: http://www.mrdperformance.biz
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
it's all good fun

just to try it disconect the washers and go straight to the misters.
when u stand in front of an evaporative cooler u get cool don't u so will the a/a/ cooler !
i use a w/a which is a different principle.
Developed and built by CVE
v8capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 17:55   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I want to do it for the same reason. Ill use the water washer bottle out of my mini though. It could easily be mounted where the airbox use to be. Im not sure if I have enough room in between the bumper and cooler to mount water jets though.

There are heaps of options to spray the water. Go to bunnings and check out all their irrigation aisles. I might steal some parts off Dad's garden.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 18:17   #8 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Also I think the water bottle has to be lower than the jets, otherwise the gravety will drain the tank.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 20:38   #9 (permalink)

I have water spray on my xr6 turbo, it is controlled by the Unichip to come on above 2800rpm when over 70% throttle is being used. It does make a difference on warm days.
XRDREAMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 20:52   #10 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Cool, If it works ill hook it up to my wolf. Do you have to refill it often?
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O