Ford Forums banner

looking at turbocharging my EL 4.0

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  nEb 
#1 ·
I got quoted $12500 to turbo my EL . I am promised a dyno sheet with 400kws on it. But also I am thinking instead to buy a XR6 turbo but then I would still have to spend alot to get this power plus the extra for a secondhand xr6 turbo . Any advice would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Yea i gotta say id much rather use the BA platform for turbocharging 4.0. Newer, nicer and better in every way (except weight, but your not building a race car are you?).

Heres a hint***

Ex-taxi BAs.

Youre rebuilding everything anyway and the end cost of the whole exercise would be half of buying a used XR6T and going the usual Stage4 route.

#5 ·
Are you guys dreaming ??? 200 rwkw in turbo 4.0 is awsome torque and can be achieved easy. 200 rwkw is close to 300 at engine in n/a engine as torque comes on so low in rpm....Set your goals what can be driven on street and street tyres safley!!!

#7 ·
He said 400kw didnt he! So that means 400rwkw if its off a dyno graph! For $12000+ thats pretty good, depending on what kinda condition his el is!

Go for it i say, IF you got that money to splash around...if your wanting a diferent car then go the BA, but if your happy with the car at hand but just wanna go faster (very faster) go the el!

CHeers, Rayos

#8 ·
Yes I know he said 400 kw but does he know what 400 is like to drive ??? On street ??
For a start anything over 300 rwkw is wheelspin heaven even with LSD...A T5 and single plate clutch ..Good luck...Auto ??? Good luck.....

Welcome to forums...

#10 ·
I think the warranty issue is the biggest. Why buy a new 45000 dollar car with 3 years warranty and then loose the warranty by modding it. The more I look into it the more I reckon doing the EL is the go and something I can afford doing now.
Its 400 RWKW and I've driven a Supra Turbo which has around 450rwhp so I have an idea about what power we are looking at.

Regarding using an EX taxi, I reckon that most extaxis would be pretty dented up. I would never buy one but buying a ex fleet base model BA with a few KM would be OK provided the previouse driver never dented the car much

#11 ·
There is alot of difference between 450 rwhp and 400 rwkw..
And it kills me to say the Falcon has less braking and handling to say nothing about LSD etc as std..Thats the side I'm comparing to..Also consider getting it engineered as there is no insurance if you don't..Insurance including ctp.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.