NOS on stock Boss260 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 05:14   #1 (permalink)

NOS on stock Boss260

Need to know how much damage, if any in the long run a shot of 75 to 100 NOS can cause to these motors. Is it safe and what sort of numbers can I get from hte motor???? Is there anyone who has done let me know.
Doosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 05:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: NOS on stock Boss260

If setup correctly i cant see why you couldn't run it for years. Nitrous doesn't caz damage it's the tune or lack of tune that does. A 100 shot with a window switch set at 3000rpm and say 5250rpm would work a treat. The hp number come down to who the supplier is. Nitrous express from the states is RWHP figures when holley/NOS is FWHP. I would suggest some sort of progressive controller. I have tried to find a rpm based unit but cant. So a time based unit would work fine to save the trans drivline from the sudden shock of 100rwhp.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 16:14   #3 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

I don't think there would be any long term damage to the engine, as long as stated above, it is tuned properly, maintained and not abused.

A 75HP kit setup well would last years, if you look after every thing else.

I do agree, a progressive controller of some description would most likely be of benefit, and I'd suggest running a "wet" kit over a "dry".

Usually you will get close to the specified HP rating, eg a 100FWHP kit you could see up to around 95FWHP gain on a standard motor, unless you build the engine to suit nitrous where then you can possibly see gains, eg a 100FWHP kit and gains of up to 130FWHP. But thats a different story.
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 22:25   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your feedback guys much appreciated. Now off to the workshop to take the plunge. Will let you know the outcomes.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52   #5 (permalink)

People in the states are running 150 shot on stock engines and they are still alive. I rekon a 100 shot from nitrous express which is 100rwhp not fwhp and their maximiser pro controller shoul last if setup correctly first time round. They now have a direct port nozzel system that sits in the injector seat and your injector sits in the nozzle good for up to 400hp i think.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:02   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Hmmmm, 350+150 = 500HP!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice.

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
-------------------------------
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 00:38   #7 (permalink)

Hi,

Ive had no problems with my NOS set up, Im rumming 100 shot from time to time and the XRs never skipped a beat. Trust me never go cheap and don't worry to much about up grading your donk. dollar for dollar you'll spend more getting it just right with new pistons and the rest of it than picking up a new donk if (and its a big 'IF') the worst should happen.

I have to say Im a big fan of NOS and what it can do 'WITH THE RIGHT TUNE'. But don't go over board "NOS has the power to give and the power to take away".

If your donk is in good shape and your up for teaching some FPVs and HSVs what speed realy is, go for it nothing will catch you.
NOS XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:05   #8 (permalink)

Gday NOS XR,
Can you send me a PM on your set up. Im very interested in getting as much info possible. What sort of times and power did you experience.

Thanks heaps
Old 07-09-2004, 06:27   #9 (permalink)

Or you could post it im intrested to, make model, power, times.

Old 07-09-2004, 15:27   #10 (permalink)

Hi again,

Ive got a BA XR6, stock there around 130RWKW, without NOS Im now running around 165RWKW due to Cramic coated pacemakers, Herrod SS 2.5", SS Cold Air Induction + 75mm throtal body, K&N filter. (as yet no computer mods, can't make up my mind to super charge or not) By the way Blaupunkt DVD player, GT starter, and FPV pedles and dropped King springs all round.

Im running a Dry Sportsman NOS System at 75 to 100 shot, I think its a Sportsman, I'll up date if Im wrong. Without a turbo theres isn't much need for a wet system. Thats an opinion from my experiance but I'm no expert. If anyone dosn't agree please educate me.

Without a turbo or blower a wet system is very hard to tune, you'll pull more power but with NOS a long tune is like walking on ice. You want to get it right the first time and you want to get it right quickly. DON'T GET GREEDY.

Here's somthing for the new NOS owner in winter theres only 2 words to remember 'BOTTLE WARMER'. Have a look at this years NSW Ticford club Dyno day you'll see my results. Minus a bottle warmer the day low temps cost me at least 25RWKW. This was a sad leson to learn. But the guy who beat me in forced had 3 goes at it and stuffed his turbo on his last run. Keeping all that white smoke in mind is the only thing that stops me crying.

Presure, bottle presure is the key to big HP. Keep presure up and keep your competitors behind you.

Get a book on NOS and start reading up on kits and NOS gear, talk to the good people at Holly (Bens the man) about whats on offer from them, theres no substitute for quality and their equipment will cut it with anyones.

Ive got 287.4RWHP with good presure but I haven't run the car on the 1/4 yet. Sadly I may have to sell it before I ever do (let not talk about that).

All I can say is NOS comes on like a bitch on heat. No turbo will out do you 100kmph to 180kmph times, I've been walking away from my mates new GT like his standing still (he's very cut).

Watch Ford Performance Mag in the next couple of months for the installation job and some nice cheesy pic's of the blow off.

Talk to Con and the boys at C&V Performance, Sydney, let them know Greg pointed you towards them. If its NOS they know.
(they didn't do me any deals but they're the best and they'll make you pay for it, but is it realy worth any risk?)

Good luck with it all,

Remember if they don't have NOS they don't have a chance.
NOS XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O