Suitable gas carby for turbo 4.1 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 07:22   #1 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Suitable gas carby for turbo 4.1

The next item on my parts list for the 4.1 Turbo project is a LPG throttle body/carby.

Ive got my heart set on a Gas Research unit as ive heard they have more scope for all out performance than other products.

Now Ive come across one for what seems like a good price but its only a 320cfm unit. Most of the high performance LPG engines i see run with a 440 GRA carby and 2 B2 converters.

Now, my question is will the 320cfm carby be adequate for a 200rwkw 4.1 Turbo? Im not into doing things half-right and would rather bite the bullet if ill need a 440+ carb in the future.

Thanks

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 16:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Suitable gas carby for turbo 4.1

No a 320 will not be at all big enough. Maybe 320 for a bod stocker, but even then the basic kit comes with a 350. I sopke to gas research as i'm doing the same thing. They have an underbonnet turbo kit for the 4.1- comes with carby, all the normal lines, converter, plus a metal plate on the converter that you need when running boost as well as the balance lines needed. The carby he recommened was a 440. The price for this was ~$875, then another converter was $160 and a metal plate for that one was $20. Just over $1000 for a fuel system, thats if you have a tank in already. But thats pretty decent seeing what the injection stuff goes for. Ill be getting the aforementioned kit just need some ca$h. Thats the last thing on my list of parts anyway.
To sum up i would wait til you can get the 440.
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 22:02   #3 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

440 it is then.

Looking at the price Gas Research quoted, it seems a little high. A brand new 440 LPGcarb is around $450 add another 150-200 for a converter and lines and its about 60-700. Dont know about the plate and other mods to suit turbocharging but you should end up with at least few hundred less than the $1000 total cost you got.

Also, is it essential to have 2 converters, or is 1 enough for resonable power levels?

I know im penny pinching but im a tight uni student and if cars were affordable then we'd all be driving around in Ferraris n Lambos wouldnt we.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 22:05   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

the convertors are rated at 296hp each.
I am about to buy these parts next week as well as soon as I get paid. They will be going on my EB.
If you get on to them first let me know the costs, I will do the same if i get them before you.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 17:27   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i spoke to them thats where i got my prices from. OK, 450 for carb, 2* 200 for the converters, thats 850. $150 worth of lines seems reasonable. One converter would be enough for a not too powerful setup, but two seems to be the go. One guy on here, can't remember who, had a turbo on his eb or something, said it leaned out about 3000rpm. But the guy i spoke to said get 2.
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O