supercharging or turboing I6? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 13:51   #1 (permalink)

supercharging or turboing I6?

what are some pro's and cons of supercharging vs. tubocharging on an I6?
travis_ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: supercharging or turboing I6?

http://www.fordforums.com/search.php
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 20:33   #3 (permalink)

Here we go again...

Pick one and stick with it, they are both going to give a decent power upgrade and if you are are keeping the stock gearbox either one will get you up to the 200-220rwkw that the box will take. Cost wise they will both be similar 5-8k from what Everyone has been quoting lately. Performance will be similar - the supercharged route may have a little bit more down low, but fuel economy will be slightly worse (in theory). If the top end is rebuilt, ported etc and an intercooler injectors and aftermarket chip are fitted the power level mentioned above can be achieved at around 6-8psi boost.

Turbo is probably the best if you want more power later on, it is (slightly) easier to upgrade.

But everyone has their own opinion on which is better... just watch to see how many posts this will get, mainly from people argueing which one is better. Or someone could point you to a previous thread in which the arguing which is better.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 22:02   #4 (permalink)

didnt want to start any arguments... was just interested to know how the i6's respond to turboing/supercharging and weather one was like extreamly better.

btw... chances are i wont do either... im probably going to sell my EF that i only recently bought and spend the money on my coupe(what it was intended for b4 the EF came along)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:57   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Here we go again...

Pick one and stick with it, they are both going to give a decent power upgrade and if you are are keeping the stock gearbox either one will get you up to the 200-220rwkw that the box will take. Cost wise they will both be similar 5-8k from what Everyone has been quoting lately. Performance will be similar - the supercharged route may have a little bit more down low, but fuel economy will be slightly worse (in theory). If the top end is rebuilt, ported etc and an intercooler injectors and aftermarket chip are fitted the power level mentioned above can be achieved at around 6-8psi boost.

Turbo is probably the best if you want more power later on, it is (slightly) easier to upgrade.

But everyone has their own opinion on which is better... just watch to see how many posts this will get, mainly from people argueing which one is better. Or someone could point you to a previous thread in which the arguing which is better.
I'm also interested in either a s/c or a turbo, sounds like it all to much trouble for you . Some of us are fairly new to this forum and whether its been posted before or not shouldn't really matter. If your'e not interested in the thread don't post on it. I think its a very good Question and if only people that have actually done this gave their opinions cutting thru the B/s would be much easier. And its not just about power, are these bolt on's reliable?does it severly shorten the life span of the motor?
our_blue_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
I'm also interested in either a s/c or a turbo, sounds like it all to much trouble for you . Some of us are fairly new to this forum and whether its been posted before or not shouldn't really matter. If your'e not interested in the thread don't post on it. I think its a very good Question and if only people that have actually done this gave their opinions cutting thru the B/s would be much easier. And its not just about power, are these bolt on's reliable?does it severly shorten the life span of the motor?

Turboute summed it up perfectly. Perhaps he shouldnt have begun with "here we go again" but everything else he said was spot on.

Yes this subject has been covered at length. So if you do a search you will come up with a wealth of info on the topic.

But yeah its also cool to do it again for the new people.

I vote turbo. I wont go into all the reasons but I will state this one:

A supercharger uses engine power to create boost. A turbocharger uses otherwise wasted exhaust gasses to create boost.
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 13:24   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Supercharger
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 00:14   #8 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansEdgli
Supercharger
WHAT coming from a man with a turbo.. please explain :s6:

me go 4 turbocharger
Quote:
A supercharger uses engine power to create boost. A turbocharger uses otherwise wasted exhaust gasses to create boost.
the only thing about turbo's are they have to be better setup and more thought put into them. if done right you will get a superior result.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:14   #9 (permalink)

thankyou thek that is what i was talking about... the fact that a turbo uses exhaust gas rather than engine power... making a turbo superior for smaller engines (4's and most 6's) and a supercharger superior for larger displacment engines(this is my understanding of it anyway)... i was just wanting to know which way the i6 goes
Old 01-17-2005, 02:15   #10 (permalink)

Yeah the supercharger draws power from the engine to create power but as a result of being directly driven, lag is non existant. Personally, I'd go a supercharger due to the fact that it is a relatively straight-forward and reliable mechanism. A turbo requires alot of stuffing around and will ultimately prove to be inferior when it comes to reliability and longevity.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O