T3 Turbo on an EBII 4L I6 MPFI? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 05:09   #1 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

T3 Turbo on an EBII 4L I6 MPFI?

G'day.

Ive been offered a T3 turbo, rebuilt, for my EBII 4L I6 MPFI and I just wanted to ask a few questions before I decide if I want it or not.

First of all I guess the main question is will the engine be able to handle a turbo without changing anything in the bottom end? The engine is in good condition, does not blow smoke and runs very smooth, and seems rather stable in the bottom end, however I would like to get some reasurance that I do not have to go for lighter pistons or anything before fitting a turbo.

The second question is how hard can I push up the boost on the turbo? It comes with a manual boost valve, and hes got it running 11 pound at the moment, but what would be best for my EB?

And I guess it all comes to this: Is it worth it? The turbo might be free but for the money I may have to outlay on getting the car fixed up to install it is a T3 turbo really going to do much for the car? The car has had a little bit of work done to it, and my mate's going to include his intercooler as well, or am I better off saying no to the offer?

The only reason why its being offered is that he is changeing to a different turbo and being the nice guy that he is he has offered it to me.

Any comments welcome, pro or con...

Thanx in advance,
Defective.
defective is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2004, 07:38   #2 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Re: T3 Turbo on an EBII 4L I6 MPFI?

the whole setup (if you are getting turbo and IC for free) will still exceed $3.5k to do a 1/2 decent job of it.

as to if it will be worth it. How much do you like seing Gen3's in your rearvision mirror???

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:33   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

With 6/7 Lp boost you should make around 180 to 200 rwkw..
Depends on turbo size as T3's are just big enough..You won't have any engine trouble if you have correct fuel system and timing/ tuning..Atleast 24 Lp+ injectors for under 8 Lp.Then an aftermarket ecu or some sort of tuning aid to run bigger injectors and less mid rpm advance..Ecu with boost reference is imo better...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

So it sounds worth it then, but what about the engines bottom end? Do I need to do anything with it if im only running light boost? Or will I need forgies. Ive got the day off today so im going to head down to my mates garage and have a talk with his race mechanic about it, see what he thinks, then prob phone my mate at ford and get him to ask around so hopefully ill have more of an idea what im going to be up for after that, but I still want to hear from people here as well, the more I know the better.

Im getting conflicting information of the EB's bottom end as far as useing a turbo on them and I have to get his sorted before I proceed with it. Its a Garrett T3, cant remember the rest of the info, my pads out in the car and I cant be stuffed going out and getting it.

Oh, the other question, do I need to change my compression at all to run the turbo?

Thanx again all,
Defective.
Old 02-02-2004, 22:00   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Bottom end is fine.Pistons are ok under 10Lp boost.Its realy detonation or bad tuning that kills engines most the time...Depends on condition of engine..
A T3 is realy a small turbo it will spool realy quick..
Depends how far you want to go to make power? Use better pistons when you rebuild it latter.. There are alot of other things to get it up and runing correctly first.An aftermarket ecu for instance,injectors,fuel pump....
24Lp injectors will get you around 180 rwkw..30Lp+ is better and leaves some safety..
R.I.P Possum...
Old 02-03-2004, 01:01   #6 (permalink)

I would not use the turbo if it was smaller than a RB25 turbo.

Any smaller than this IMO would be a waste of time, it would spool instantly and run out of puff before 4000rpm. The early spooling would put a lot of strain on the tranny and diff because of all the torque and the standing start. Also the loading would be more prone to detonation due to the low speed loading on the motor. You can get around this with an aftermarket ecu, giving the ability to pull out timing where you want.

Also a intercooler on a stock motor is mandatory with a small turbo.

ebxr8240 has summed it up "Its realy detonation or bad tuning that kills engines most the time". If a tuner tells you otherwise he's either stupid or tyring to get money out of you.

Also to get 180rwkw you will need to up your base fuel pressure from 38psi to about 55psi and thats still on the limit of 100% duty cycle.

As for the strength of the 4.0 OHC motors. I know someone who slapped a very small T4 turbo with intercooler onto a totally stock motor (change nothing including the ecu). He tried to blow the motor up for 3 weeks while his other motor was being built, running 10psi. The motor survived and in the end he rebuilt it because the other motor was too stuffed to rebuild.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:22   #7 (permalink)

T3 is small but free and easy to upgrade down the track. With good tune will produce 150-160 rwkw (my guess) heat soak will be main problem at higher boost. Good tune, injectors and intercooler (if in budget). It's worth the effort. Good cheap ($ - kw) power upgrade! You'll have some skylines and commonwhores running for cover!
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39   #8 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

LoL, I already have commonwhores and some skylines running for cover. The EB has no problem against VS commo's which scares the shit outa their drivers (not used to being out run by what looks like a rather stock EB).

I droped into my mates shop today and had a talk with the mechanic (still havent talked to my mate from Ford though). His only recomendation was to make sure my rings where ok and to replace the head gasket with an aftermarked one, damn it, again notpad in car so I got no idea what sort he was on about but it was meant to be less prone to blowing. Thing is I think that was done by the previouse owner so ill have to check it out...

On another note, what sort of power can the EBII's automatic tranny handel? Im getting alot of conflicting information here also with some mechanics saying their very strong and will handel a fair bit of power and others saying the moment I start to do anything major im going to need to find a manual or drop in a commo tranny (which is ofcourse NOT an option). I personally was always under the impression that the series II's tranny was able to take a fair bit, and this ones in excelent condition with a fairly heavy tranny cooler on it. Any figures would be nice here.

But it sounds like the egine should be able to run the turbo without too much problem, but once I get the time to take the engine out and strip her down I think ill be opting for some forgies, but that is IF I ever get the time, probably just have to put the damn thing into the shop and have it done.

This is all very appreciated guys, thanx.
Defective.
Old 02-03-2004, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Head gasget I'd only replace when stuffed. Maybe replace head bolts ??Remember you WON"T have to rev it 1/2 as hard as before in n/a form..
A T3 ??? what engine did that turbo come from?? If its from a VG 30 single turbo you'll be o/k.These are made by Hitachi and are super 60 T3 in Size with quite big exhaust housing .63...Ball bearing and spin like 150.000 rpm...
Is there any numbers on housing etc...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 02-04-2004, 01:44   #10 (permalink)

Hah commo trannies! What ever! The only things i'd be worried about is 4th (overdrive) but thiers plenty of auto's that can fit to replace. Read my signature, c10 auto in an Au, 3 speed. This was for the s/c setup because the t5 went south! My mate with the ED turbo (t3/4) had auto went manual and is now going back to auto.

Think about porting those heads if you pull them off!!!!!!! relatively cheap power to be had!

A good head gasket is essential probably talking about 'Felpro'! Head bolts are a great idea to help clamp that head down nice and tight.

I was talking v8's commonwhores and R33 skylines!
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O