TSA turbo kits - worth it? (LONG) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 21:09   #1 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

TSA turbo kits - worth it? (LONG)

I have done many searches on these kits here on FF and elsewhere, and have been very impressed with personal opinions and testimonials.

What I am after is constructive personal opinons based on facts and experience.

My situation will be like this:

Vehicle: AU2 forte, auto, low km engine in very good condition.
This car will be completely stock on the outside right down to the hubcaps. Yes, a sleeper as it were!

Modification: TSA stage 1 turbo kit to supplied and fitted at an SA dealership.
Possible upgrade of brakes assesed if needed.

Application: Essentially for daily usage on the street. Wanting mainly sleeper aspect kept. Needing more power over standard to be able to give a few people in SS's a scare. Needs to be reliable in all ambient temperatures. Wont be doing burnouts. Wont be used at any circuit type events.

Budget: Basically I will be purchasing an AU2 forte for around the 14k mark as they are a dime a dozen. TSA turbo kit will be 5k so Ive read. So I plan to get away with everything for about 20k initally, plus other miscellaneous extras. i.e. brake upgrade, window tint, alarm/immobiliser, trans cooler, possible mini spool.

Overview: Im starting to get out of the "Im quicker than you" stage in my life and I want reasonable comfort with 'enough' power to boot. The mrs will also drive the car so I dont want it to be a pig on the road. Its got to have road manners as if it was still standard. Its got to be inconspicuous from the cops, and other unwanted people, hence the 'sleeper' effect I want to attain. Now you might say, 'why not go for an XR6t or something that has heaps of power from standard'? Well I could, but that will defeat the purpose of a sleeper now wouldnt it? Everyone knows what an XR6t is capable of and the last thing I need is every ricer and commo wanting to drag me off the lights! This AU will be as stealthy as they come. "A wolf in sheeps clothing" so to speak. No one will be expecting it, and thats what Im after, only to give a few people a scare. But I want to do this on a budget.
The only reason I chose an AU is that they are a very cheap car to buy and reasonably new. I can get over the appearance of the shape. That doesnt bother me at all. Its mainly the engine reliability that Im after and from what I have heard, these motors are all that. They arent the be all of comfort and handling but its got to be better than my EBXR8 in some respects. Plus its a safe car. Most of the depreciation has drop considerably on these cars and thats fine with me.

Please be as honest as you want but constructive about my intentions and try and answer some of the questions i have below.

Questions to be answered:

* What are your personal opinions of these kits?
* Are they worth the hype?
* Are they worth the money?
* Are there any constructive hints to help
* Will it be quick enough to take the likes of VTSS's, etc?
* WIll there be anything I'd need to look out for running this type of kit?
* If traction were not an issue, would you be suprised to go up against a car of the above mentioned?
* Is there another turbo kit within my budget that I should consider?
* Am I getting a bit ambitious doing something like this?
* Will my driveline stand up ok with this kit, assuming Im not giving it hell?

Your help and knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Shav
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004, 22:10   #2 (permalink)
Mr Baron Samedi Man

Re: TSA turbo kits - worth it? (LONG)

not that i know anything about those kits but i like your idea

current car

Chev Camaro Iroc-Z
thehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 22:21   #3 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehat
not that i know anything about those kits but i like your idea
Thanks for that mate, at least I know im not being an idiot with the idea. I know I could go pretty crazy if I wanted with big intercoolers & big boost, but I know it wont just end there. I have been caught before with cars and so called intentions to just leave it alone and not spend any more cash on it. But this time, I am for real. It wont be a weapon but will shake up a few unsuspecting posers.
Old 05-05-2004, 23:02   #4 (permalink)

its a good idea to get some balls under the bonnet of the ol' AU forte, but there is no way u'll leave it stock externally for long.
and if you do, you're crazy.
I'm always impressed with sleepers, but it defeats the purpose of the whole performance car image. If all you're interested in is dragging V8 commodores then by all means, go for it. But there is no way i could stand having a stock AU with a turbo thumping within it.
simply lower it and put factory 17's on it, still won't look like an 'all out performance car' but atleast it looks decent :)

now with ur questions:
They're decent kits from what i can tell, dunno about value for money but they have been proven. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with only a stage 1 kit, enough to get about 160rwkw + what ever other small mods u do, which i think TSA managed a mid 14 pass in their stocko AU1, would be better if it were a manual

I doubt your driveline would have ANY hassles with that kinda setup, its relatively sedate when it comes to what others have done with a stock AU trans/diff etc.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 23:23   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
its a good idea to get some balls under the bonnet of the ol' AU forte, but there is no way u'll leave it stock externally for long.
and if you do, you're crazy.
Call me crazy then, I have no intentions to mod the outside as it will defeat my original purpose of a sleeper. This is what I want.
Quote:
I'm always impressed with sleepers, but it defeats the purpose of the whole performance car image. If all you're interested in is dragging V8 commodores then by all means, go for it. But there is no way i could stand having a stock AU with a turbo thumping within it.
I never mentioned that this will be a 'performance car'. Coz IMO a performance car will consist of more than just engine upgrades. i.e. suspension, brakes, trans mods, diff mods, etc. It will be just as I had stated, a 'sleeper'. All go, no show.
Quote:
simply lower it and put factory 17's on it, still won't look like an 'all out performance car' but atleast it looks decent :)
I know I could go this route, but I dont want anyone to assume its possible potential by having wheels and lower ride height. I want people to think twice before writing off the AU's when racing against one. Like I said, just to scare them a little. It all about a freak factor for me. How much can I freak them out? What will the expressions on their faces be like?
Plus I dont want it being a target when I park it in town or on a main road. Theives, cops or joyriders, I dont want them knowing or even thinking about looking at my car.
Quote:
now with ur questions:
They're decent kits from what i can tell, dunno about value for money but they have been proven. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with only a stage 1 kit, enough to get about 160rwkw + what ever other small mods u do, which i think TSA managed a mid 14 pass in their stocko AU1, would be better if it were a manual

I doubt your driveline would have ANY hassles with that kinda setup, its relatively sedate when it comes to what others have done with a stock AU trans/diff etc.
Thats what I thought too. The stage 1 'should' be good for 160rwkw reliably and still maintain a quite note at idle. Once again, inconspicuous. But any car that can do a mid 14 in my books is quick. Now I know some of you are saying "WTF is this guy on when he says 14's are quick?", but where I come from it actually is. And from a stock 'looking' AU it will be a ball breaker for the wanna be's out there.
Now Im not expecting to beat everyone on the road but if I can drop a few jaws on some commo drivers or some low spec ricers I'll be happy and know I have acheived my goal.
Old 05-06-2004, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

shav mate better not get rid of that xr8 other wise im gonna have to kick your ass, nice choice with the au, i dont find them ugly at all, i reckon there just a good looking as the BA (call me crazy but i do). stage 1 kit is pretty mild but will still be able to kick alot of ricers and commo drivers asses easily, if i can keep up and beat r33 and vl turbz on drop back an au should beat those easily off take off. i know being married you want a reliable car for the wife to cruise around in so you made a good choice by what i here about the tsa kits. i dont exactly aggree about the not lowering it or anything, if i could show you a silver au2 that went to my tafe then it would change your mind, it hasnt been dumped just an inch and a half taken off all round, hub caps, tint, clear repeaters, pedders shocks and white line sway bars. the guy said it handles great now and doesnt attract the slightest look from cops or anyone else. have you also thought about a factory lpg setup? this might make it abit more cheaper to run (my dads au1 cost way less to run a week then mine). what ever you decide shav i hope it works out for you.

Ehab
p.s why not turbo the xr8?
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I have thought about turboing the xr8 Ehab, but the mrs doesnt like the thought of throwing more cash at the EB.

From what HOTDBZ has told me the AU stage 1 kit should pull a low 14 down the quarter, which is about a second quicker than my eb now. Thats plenty quick enough for a sleeper IMO.

As far as lowering is concerned, its a not a necessity at this point in time. I just want to get the turbo kit fitted, ready & reliable before thinking of other mods. Plus the insurance may not like the thought of lowering a vehicle the way I would want it, which would be kings superlows. But yeah, that will be way down the track. I have a schedule I want to keep to so first things first.

I could go lpg setup but Im not that worried about it. I'll be happy with a normal pulp setup that can cream the average skaife wanna-be. Thats my intention anyway.
Old 05-06-2004, 23:37   #8 (permalink)

I think the TSA stuff is quite good especially if you know nothing about turbo's because it is already produced for you no need to get a heap of custom stuff and the results are proven, your buying a set amount of performance.

Your car will be quicker than a VT SS

Your driveline will hold up.

Mine is stock and is getting around 330rwkw.
pyroay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 23:48   #9 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroay
I think the TSA stuff is quite good especially if you know nothing about turbo's because it is already produced for you no need to get a heap of custom stuff and the results are proven, your buying a set amount of performance.
Exactly what I was thinking. I know I could probably done something different myself and perhaps save a few $$$ but this kit is proven to be reliable, cost effective power backed with a warranty, thats what I was looking for!
Quote:
Your car will be quicker than a VT SS.
I hope so, although any V8 will get the jump on me from the lights, the turbo though should just reel them in after that.
Quote:
Your driveline will hold up..
Yea I was told by Mal (HOTDBZ) that the driveline should be fine with the stage 1 or 2 kit but if I wanted to I could beef it up by adding a trans cooler at least. But he was certain the auto will handle it fine.
Quote:
Mine is stock and is getting around 330rwkw.
wow thats huge power for a stock motor, assuming that your engine is stock of course. Is it? What car do u drive? And what kind of setup do u have?
Old 05-07-2004, 22:51   #10 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

shavros (your greek name) check out
Sweet looking EF XR6 (PYROAY) on FULLBOOST.COM.AU
youll find pics and a little bit of info on pyroay's car, prety off tap. do you know when your gonna get this au2??? are you selling your car?? see ya next weekend champ.

Ehab
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O