Turbo 250 pre crossflow - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Turbo 250 pre crossflow

Ive been thinking lately about turboing the 250 pre cross flow in my XA GS Fairmont for something different. I only want around 150 Kw at the wheels. Ive got a few questions about it. My engine has just clicked over 100,0000 original miles.

Do i need to rebuild the engine if it will only run on around 10 psi?

Can i use a 350 Holley with an electronic choke?

What sort of turbo should i use and roughly how much will it set me back?

Where can i get the exhaust manifold made in the Dandenong area of Victoria?
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Turbo 250 pre crossflow

Rebuild? not realy there are heaps of 4.1's or X flo out there that you can latter rebuild.A J pipe from existing manifold to a T3 from VG30T [single turbo] Constant velocity carbs seemed to run better in the old days as there is heaps of diffrence in air flo..Carbs like Stromberge C.D's and S.U's borrowed from memory off Mercs..I like Webber over Holley too..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Ive seen a few Hemi sixes that have been turbo charged and they are running carbys. And i saw an artical on www.performanceforums.com about a turbo 202 red motor. I've got a picture of a turbo Hemi six and it dosent look very hard to set up.

How much should i set aside for a turbo?
Old 03-08-2004, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Depends on goals from $3k doing it yourself...Then as much as Kerry can afford...Kerry as in K.P...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 23:13   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

You'd be better of getting that 2V head you were chasing, I have just sorced another vehicle that has a complete 250 2V.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

How much will a T3 Turbo cost and where can i get one?
Old 03-09-2004, 16:34   #7 (permalink)

You might be able to pick up a T3 sized turbo for $300 upwards, depending on model. You dont have to have a T3, you could use an equivelent mitsubitshi or toyota turbo. Make sure the wastegate can flow enough.

Reuse your original cast iron manifold to mount the turbo, get an adaptor made up. When you buy the turbo, get the dump pipe with it. I would guess $200 for an adaptor.

You need oil supply and return, supply comes from your oil pressure sender. Return goes into the sump drilling of holes required.

Are you going suck though or blow through? Blow through is best, the holley 350 would suit nicely. It will need to be jetted up, with soild floats and some other little mods. Holley will not fit on standard inlet manifold, you would need an adaptor (or a 2V head)

The compression of the 250 preXflow is too high for 10 PSI, you will need to run low boost and ensure good fuel (never run lean or ping) to have any chance of your motor living. Rebuild with forged low comp pistons to run 10 PSI.

It would certainly give you a unique motor!
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

I dont no much about turbos at this stage. I was told what suck through and blow through mean but ive forgoten. It looks like if i want power i will need to rebuild the engine so i was thinking of buying another 250 pre crossflow because they can be picked up for $50 and rebuilding that. Good thing is they are a very simple engine and i could probally do some of the work myself. This is what engine i have planed.

T3 or TO4 Turbo - Whatever the budget allows
Have an exhaust manifold made up, ive heard they cost upwards of $750
Bored 40 thou'
Forged low comp pistons
Custon cam
2v head made to run on ULP - Optimax
350 Holley
3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system from the turbo back

Hows that sound, Don't no if i'm right cos i'm new to turbos.
Where can i find a set of forged low comp pistons. Will the pistons out of a X-Flow rebuild kit fit in a pre crossflow 250?

If i did end up doing all this i dont no weather it would be worth getting a 2v head. Ive got an adaptor plate to put a 2 barrel Holley onto my engine.

Last edited by XA Fairmont; 03-10-2004 at 05:07.
Old 03-10-2004, 21:26   #9 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Now ive been thinking i dont think i would use a 2v head. If i did go ahead with all this it would be my first engine build up. Is 150 kW at the wheels acheavible?
Old 03-11-2004, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

150 easily, tough N/A motor do that much.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O