turbo 514 on straight gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 23:23   #1 (permalink)

turbo 514 on straight gas

Hi guys, I'm from the states, but I'm posting this here cause nobody around here knows squat about LPG.

I'm building a mustang with a 514 big block motor and I'm gonna run it on propane. Since my motor was already built before I decided to run it on propane, it's at 10.5:1 compression. I figure I could use some turbos to take advantage of the extra octane.

Now from info I've gathered here, it seems this can be done and is rather easy. What I want to know is, what kind of components do I need? I was thinking along the lines of dual Impco 425 mixers, but what converters? I estimate my engine will make 575-625 HP naturally aspirated. And how do I make the mixer etc compensate for boost? Any technical details you can provide are welcome and encouraged.

Also, I've read that there exist Impco components that are designed for closed loop operation. I would be interested in this if I could acquire the components for cheap. What's needed besides the special mixer? I could build my own computer if the computer to control all this is too expensive.

Thanks for your help guys!
shiftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 23:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: turbo 514 on straight gas

I have no experience with the closed loop systems.

Getting enough fuel delivery from the tanks will be a MAJOR problem for you.

Look around at whoever makes tanks in your area and find out what the excess flow valves and lock off valves are going to flow, I think you will never be able to keep fuel up to the converters, not with that many cubes and turbo. Maybe with 2 huge tanks.

There must be people in the US with experience with Impco products, over here we primarily consider Gas Research Australia to have a better product over Impco, I think both are good for there intended application.

Do a search around here you will find some more info.

I am in the middle of building a turbcharged 351 and even with two 80lt tanks I think fuel delivery will be holding it back. I decided to use GRA products, two mixers and four B2 converters.

Consider yourself lucky, we get a mix of butane and propane, you guys get 100% propane.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07   #3 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for the info. Could I simply remove or disable the excess flow valve? Illegal, I'm sure, but around here nobody checks or cares. I'll be using one or two forklift tanks (depending on how many I can fit in my Mustang's small trunk!). I'm sure the lockoff valve won't be a problem as I can simply fabricate something if need be.

What's better about the Gas Research products? Those are pretty much unknown over here, but if they're that good, I would consider using them.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:10   #4 (permalink)

http://www.gasresearch.com.au/

have a look there, may be worth sending them an email, they'll know what to do, prices, and could get stuff to ya id guess
Old 09-08-2005, 09:17   #5 (permalink)

The thing that frustrates me most about LPG is that there is NO technical information out there on the Internet. There's countless LPG sites, but they all say stuff like "To convert to LPG, you need a tank, mixer, ..." or "Yes, we carry mixers, tanks, etc ...", just general, bland, useless information.

Where's the sites that say stuff like "Here's some LPG converters, this model supports XXX horsepower and has these features, this one supports XXXX horsepower"? Where's the technical documentation for components and other in depth information you might want to know if you're doing anything more serious than browsing around and saying "gee, that looks like it might be cool"? Even Impco and Gas Research's web site have no info on them.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40   #6 (permalink)

ok, fair enough, i merely wanted to point the site out to ya, i have no idea on the gas side of things, and was unaware of the complete lack of turbo, lpg, mixer, convertor info, cant say i've ever looked

i rekn theres a couple of guys on here that know their lpg stuff, i remember reading turbo lpg posts from them b4, cant remember who they r, but they have experince playing with v8's n lpg, n boost.

that said, the full lack of detailed info would be cos' its something that is very rarely done from what ive seen...

By the way mate, im curious to know what time it is in usa where you r right now?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49   #7 (permalink)

Sorry, I did not mean to seem unappreciative. Thanks for pointing the site out to me. I sent them an email to see what they say. I also noticed that they have a "forced induction tuning guide" which did have some information right along the lines of what I was looking for. I have done some searching of this site and turned up some really helpful information as well. It seems there are far more people in Australia building high performance LPG motors than in the U.S., in fact there are only a handful here, and only one that I know of (http://www.alternatefuelsracing.com/).

It's 10:50 AM over here. I'm at GMT-6.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:03   #8 (permalink)

cool mate, no problems, its 1:30am over here, time for bed i think. ummm, did you find these threads

LPG turbo conversion
Turbo and Straight Gas

second one doesnt say much though... theres the email address and a forum link that sound like a possible source of info.

you havent been flooded out over there?? how far r u from new orleans?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22   #9 (permalink)

It's about a 6 hour drive to the Gulf Coast from here. Nothing happened here except for a couple small tree branches down and the like. It's sad and disgusting to see the ghetto-dwelling scum down there causing havoc in New Orleans. I even saw a video where a few police officers were looting as well. Unbelievable!

The whole Gulf Coast was destroyed though, not just New Orleans, but all along Mississippi as well. I'm in the National Guard and our unit usually trains every year in Gulfport, MS. In fact we just got back from there a few months ago. It's weird having a picture in your mind of what the place looks like, then seeing it on TV completely wiped out.

Hey, if you want to see some pics of the car and engine (a Cadillac motor) I'm building for it, check out the site below. Click user galleries and go to "shiftless". I only have pics of the car and not the engine, but you can check out some other people's galleries, there's some pretty cool stuff. In particular check out the videos posted in Sean's gallery. That's a 69 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, completely gutted and weighing 4,300 lbs (1,950 kg!). It's got a built Caddy motor with a PT-90 turbo pushin 8 or 9 psi. It runs low 11s with a less than perfect launch. Edit: 73 Century has underhood pictures in his album.

http://www.cowboyseven.us/album
Old 09-08-2005, 10:27   #10 (permalink)

great, ill check it out, give me ya email and ill send ya some pics of my turbo 4l 6cyl EB Falcon project..
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O