Turbo info needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 03:16   #1 (permalink)
low n' loud XY351

Turbo info needed

I'm seriously considering bolting a huffer onto my EA wagon. It's a MPFI version and besides being a little tired is in good nick. Has anyone got any pictures or info they can help me with?
What sort of power can I expect to get out of it.
Thanx in advance
lownloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 07:59   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Re: Turbo info needed

ok well I have planned mine to a tea and are simply awaiting avalible funds to get it underway
Here is a break down:
Electrics: I am choosing to stay with a standard Ford ECU but with a differance. A mustang 5lt A9L ECU will be fitted and a maf sensor installed this allows sequential injector firing and a custom programable ECU for half the cost of the basic crap assed replacement ecu's. I'm fitting 36lbs Ford Motor sport injectors also from the states.
This would be a pain in the ass for an auto setup though.

Turbos: I have choosen to fit 2 vg30 turbos (nissan maxima/patrol turbo's. Why? Because the vg30 is a good size, easy and cheap to get a hold of (350 each rather than 800+ for a second hand t28) able to get ball bearing ones and easy to swap parts with. Also with 2 of them I can easily start with about 4-5 PSI and safely move up to 17psi (from each turbo) with out much trouble.

Manifolds: I have mates that tube weld so this is the cheapest part for me. I have pics of some designs made by a local magazine project car and a 3d render of my own design.

Exhaust: Fitting 3" truck mufflers to replace the standard setup. 1 muffler and 1 resinator. A highflow 3" cat will also be installed (most likly the GTS HSV Item as I can also get these on the cheap)

Intercooler will be a custom unit created from a mack truck cooler as they are by default a huge garret plate item.

Battery will be moved to the boot to make space for the custom air box on the other side of the motor and an EF falcon induction manifold with custom piping will be installed. I was a bit dubious about the location of the inlet pipe on the ef manifold but they flow so well that the bad location (compared to the current one at least) is worth it.
Depending on avaliblity of mates I may make a custom manifold as well.

Engine: While a standard rebuilt motor would be fine for lowish boost I'm rebuilding an EA motor I have with the following:
Ea block to be blue printed and tested then acid diped to keep it all nice and clean.
EF crank and rods to be fitted but the rods will get shot peaned before fittment and the crank will be balanced, blue printed and fully tested. ACL race pistons will be fitted along with high quality bearings some good quality rings (not the no gap ones though because they can suck the valve seals out of the head in some cases)
The EA head is being fitted because once a protrutsion is removed believe it or not the ea heads have the largest chamber out of all the heads.
The head will also be custom ported and flow tested. A custom cam will be put together by a place in brisbane called sure cam I think (have it written down some where)
Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate will be fitted of course to a near standard 5spd ED manual I have (with any luck I'll be able to fit some better componants to this box before I blow the one I have at the moment with the power this setup will have)
Standard diff will be fitted 2.83:1 low ratio for traction however this may not last long and a 3.27:1 is standing by both LSD.

Power: well from what I've been told I can expect about 320hp at the wheels with that sort of setup at around 5psi. To be honest I don't want that amount of power and I'm only making the motor strong for reliablity as this will remain a daily driver.
Then after all that the brakes will get a big upgrade.

Thats about it really. Hope thats helpfull.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:40   #3 (permalink)
low n' loud XY351

Thanks.......Man, you've really thought about this wayyy more than I have!
Hope it all comes together for you. I have a mate who owes me a big favour and he is a gun turbo guy. He just asked me to find any info on set ups as he's not familiar with fords (he does lotsa jap stuff)
Cheers!
lownloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:03   #4 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

well once i get my turbo --soon hopefully -- then ill be able to help you

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:18   #5 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

ok i am nearing my turbo set up being completed (just gotaa assemble the hole thing now and sort out misc sh!t)

i am running a ef block/crank/rods with a au cylinder head that has been massively ported and a ea style billet camshaft on top with ea rockes on au shafts and av xr valves

acl race series ea pistons 40 tho oversize and the block is bored and honed 23 tho

bottom end is fully crack tested and pressure tested
and the rods have been shot peened only and fixed with arp rod bolts

manifolds are of my own making with a carbon fibre upper and a heavily modified ef lower intake manifold and a steam pipe section exhaust manifold

ecu is a delco set up fuel system is 1 bosch 1000hp pump (soon to up grade to two 1000hp with a surge tank) thru .5 inch lines to a malpassi rising rate reg tru to 550cc modified vn commodore injectors

turbo is a custom turbonetics one from the states
a t72 core with a 76 exhaust wheel and cover with a t78 compressor cover and wheel and is rated at 960hp

the intercooler is a cut down mack truck garrett mesureing 700x400x70 bar and plate set up with custom tanks i have come up with and made my self

the car farts thru a 5 inch dumper thru to a 4 inch hi flo cat and along a 4 inch exhaust to just b4 the diff where it meets a straight thru muffler then splits into 2, 3 inch pipes over the diff and out thru twin 3 inch hot dogs and out 2 ts-50 like exhaust tips

i am currently running a supra 5 spd (i know...i'll kill it and am currently sourcing a supra 6 spd to relpace it- i WILL NEVER EVER GO AUTO- i know i run faster with them but hate driving them.) with a custom twin plate clutch rated at 900hp

a set of gt-ho style uni's on a custom tailshaft thats a 3 inch thick wall type. running out back to a b/w diff with a tru-trac detriot locker and 3.7 gears with a 4 pin centre and 28 spline axles

suspension is a competition circut style set up

expected power is 700+hp at the flywheel and a mid-low 10 sec pass is also expected for the ea.

but all this fun comes at a downside.... its costed me 19 grand so far and its still in peices roflmfao!

anyways i'm off to spend a further 17 grand to get it all completed ha! (too bloody much on an ea!)

cheers.joe.

ps. if ya need any help mate just ask.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:27   #6 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

gm destroyer, how is the rocker gear going to cope with bigger cams, and springs? how strong are they? just hope yours doesnt tap like the ohc fords like to do.
Old 07-24-2003, 00:09   #7 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

quick corty:

the springs/retainers/collets are custom made.

and the rockers.....????? who knows if they'll hold up only time will if they do break i'll machine some up in the milling machine so its no worries for me.

tho i cant see them breaking anyways unless i drop a valve

also as for the ticking... that only happens with worn/old lifters and i have brand new ons in there.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:28   #8 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I was also considering a turbo in the future (that or save for a XE ESP 351).
I would only want my car to run low boost, and it will be a daily driver. Looking for around 200kws (bit under 300hp) at the wheels.
I am looking at doing this on a VERY tight budget.

Couple of questions,
How long will a 150+k kms engine last(with boost) before needing a rebuild?
And to what power are the BTR 4spd autos rated to? (i think its 250fwkws??)
And has anyone got a bit of basic instal type info for a turbo set up (yet to fully research it)

Thanks
Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:07   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

the best way by far for a cheap turbo install for that amount of power is a gas system with a v8 gas convertor and no intercooler.
Do this to your stock motor and you would get the 300hp fairly easily.
You don't need the cooler because gas has a higher octane and is less likly to ping. Then simply run a simple water injection kit and you'd be away.
As for your motor.
You would have no trouble with it and would still have a reliable motor unless it lived the rest of it's life at the red line on a track that is.
But maybe with the extra cost of the exhaust manifold you may be better off with a super charger.
Depends on how far you plan to take your car.
I'm building mine (eventully anyway the whole house buying and wedding thing will slow me down by not stop me!!) to be able to run nice on low boost but provide the stupidity if it proves nessasary.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:13   #10 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
As for your motor.
You would have no trouble with it and would still have a reliable motor unless it lived the rest of it's life at the red line on a track that is.
.. thats a possibility.. j/k

With superchargers and daily driving, i've been lead to believe that the sc will give worse fuel figures if u drive sensibly, which was my reason for looking at turbo.

Crarazy, so your saying turbo, staight gas with v8 convertor? is that right (i always get mixed up )

I think ill do a bit of research soon :)

Thanks
Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O