Ford Forums banner

Turbo Questions

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  thek 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have just organised an EA falcon to start my Turbo project on.

Now I know the basics about this sort off stuff, but thats about as far as it goes. Basically I am aiming for about 250rwkw. The engine will be a 3.9L bored to 4.0L with AU rods and modified AU pistons (topped to reduce compression), fully balanced, ported and polished AU head, ED intake manifold etc. I am just after some advice on what sort of Turbo to run and at about how much boost to acheive my aim. I know I will need to run some sort of aftermarket ECU or a chip as well as upgrade the fuel system, I am researching this via the web and the forums, but nothing like this has ever been done in my area so I've got nobody to ask for advice. I am thinking I will run one of the TSA style turbo manifolds, do they sell them separately?

I am also wondering what gearbox to run. I want a manual and I know for sure a T5 won't last long. I'm thinking a supra turbo box would be the go.

Basically just after suggestions on the right way about doing this. I am going to build the engine myself and my boss is an engine reconditioner by trade, so he is going to do the machine work and balance for me. Will the engine need more done to it to handle this king of power?? I have heard of other people running rediculous amounts off boost on stock bottom ends, but I want this engine to be reliable and last a decent amount of time!

Thanks for any input!

Daniel

See less See more
#2 ·
The TSA manifolds sell for $1400 seperately,
250rwkw is not a huge target so you may not need to go so far with the AU head and stuff like that.
Im hoping to get 200rwkw with a stock engine with a gt30 600hp turbo, and aftermarket fuel management at only 7psi.
There are a few people running over 300rwkw without any major dramas in E series engines.

#8 ·
True My car is going to cost about $8000 all up with no work done by myself cos Im a hack.
That includes a brand new GT30 600hp turbo which cost $2000, a big intercooler of ebay, which was $400 a manifold off of EB 6 on N20 for $700, It is costing me $1500 for the exhuast, dump pipe, intercooler piping and fitting of oil and water lines, BOV and turbo timer.

I am also having a wolf 3d V.4 fitted with bigger injectors and fuel pump and all the rest and that is eating up about $3000 by itself..

This should yield approx 200rwkw on 7psi with room for more boost. I wont need to upgrade any of the fuel system down track either unless I change my turbo again, which I dont plan on doing.

#10 ·
Its around $8000 all up including all the parts and fitting and tuning.

You can pick up a TO4 for around $800 reconditioned now. You could also just run standard injectors but you wont have room to play with if you want to up the boost.
Im not saying my setup is the cheapest option. If i didnt touch the computer I would run approx 160rwkw and would also save $3000. But when I want to upgrade I would need to do the computer and fuel system anyway so I am doing it now instead of screwing around later.

#11 ·
I want to do it properly, but I don't want to have to spend money where I don't have to because I don't earn that much and this is going to be a slow project as it is.

DansEdGli do you have any pics of the manifold? Thats the sort of price I expected to pay for a manifold.

#13 ·
But I think he makes them different now, your best to ask him yourself.
I have done my car on a budget as well.
I bought my turbo in january and have bought parts every now and then so its taken me 8 months before anything has started to be put into place.

I think your better off fitting the turbo and intercooler to your car first then worry about getting the engine built. You will go insane waiting to accumulate all the parts you need. I did.

This way at least you can enjoy some of the benefits. Your engine will be fine on low boost anyway. Just buy a secondhand engine to build once your up to that stage. You should be able to pick one up really cheap as your going to rebuild it anyway.

Cheers
Dan

#14 ·
Well the EA I am getting has 320,000K's on it, so I don't think the poor thing would appreciate boost! lol.

I have an AU as a daily driver, so this thing is purely a project. I have to do the interior and exterior as well. The interior will probably be getting an EF dash, seats and door trims and the exterior will be getting a respray as well. It isn't registered at the moment and needs a bit of work to get a pink slip, so I figure I may as well do it all at once. Are you getting your car engineered?

#15 ·
Eventually I will but not at the moment, I havent looked into yet. I know straight gas makes meeting emissions much easier but after doing a bit of reading it seems you can extract more power using petrol for the same amount of boost.
I dont plan to get pulled over and have the car inspected in the near future either, My car wont look like anything out of the ordinary and I dont drive in a way to draw attention to myself.

#16 ·
DansEdgli said:
I dont plan to get pulled over and have the car inspected in the near future either, My car wont look like anything out of the ordinary and I dont drive in a way to draw attention to myself.

Just be careful with insurance if you have any. They will not be down with an undisclosed turbo if you bin your, or heaven forbid, someone elses car.

#17 ·
Insurance will be sorted out before the car is finished, I wouldnt want to hit a shiny new car and be up for the damage.
I think i have seen your car before thek I used to do a bit of driving around Wheelers Hill. I dont see too many clean cortinas. Good work.

#18 ·
DansEdgli said:
Insurance will be sorted out before the car is finished, I wouldnt want to hit a shiny new car and be up for the damage.
I think i have seen your car before thek I used to do a bit of driving around Wheelers Hill. I dont see too many clean cortinas. Good work.

Thanks mate. Hope ya turbo plans go well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.