Turboing an EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 22:12   #1 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

Turboing an EA

I'm considering putting a turbo on my EA. My aim is about 200rwkw...so nothing outrageous. I was speaking to another person from FF who thought that it might be possible to just run 6-8psi without an intercooler to achieve this kind of power.

I basicly just want to know if I should go for a T04 or if something a bit smaller (and cheaper) will do. It's been suggested that a T28 from an R33 might be enough?

Also, what is the advantages/disadvantages of an external wastegate as opposed to an internal one? And are they illegal?
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 22:27   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Turboing an EA

No offence but you do realise that to do a decent turbo setup it will probably cost more than the EA? It looks like you have already spent a heap on it, and it does look good, but you might want to take into consideration that you will never see this money again.
I'm looking at setting up a similar deal on my AU1 XR6 and realise that a good professional job (I'm not going to do it myself) is going to be around $8000, or about 40% of the vale of the car....and I dont expect to see that money returned whe I do finally sell it. Why not do it cheaper myself? A number of reasons however, in the end, it will need an engineering cert or it will be illegal. If it's illegal than insurance is history regardless of how much you pay.
The other consideration is the condition of your engine. Mine has just done 100,000km's and is in excellent condition however I am already concerned about durability as it is getting a bit old.
Finally, the T5 is not know for handling huge amounts of kw and torque. 200rwkw is probably close to 250 at the fly, this will almost certainly be the upper limits of what the T5 can handle.
Sorry for all this but I've been looking into it an a big way and have found that there is so much more to it then strapping on a turbo and away you go.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:30   #3 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

yeah some fair points there....especially about the engineer's cert and insurance. That's why im not leaping into this...I'm new to the world of turbo's and like you I'm trying to find out a bit about them first. But because it's an EA, I'm not afraid to have a go at doing it myself (if it was an AU then I'd do it professionally too!). There's no way in hell I'd spend 8k on a turbo conversion for my car, so if I can't do it cheaply then I won't worry about it.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:47   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

There is an turbo exhaust manifold in for sale section.Fit a T4, external waste gate and way you go.After fitting inlet ducting...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:58   #5 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

For 6-8psi you won't need a intercooler and for that sort of boost a T03 will do.
I am building a new engine for my turbo setup. I am running a T04e at 14psi with an intercooler (can run up to 30psi), low comp pistons at 8.2, and my engineer said it will get about 175rwkw, so I am not sure who told you that. I am spending big $$$$ on my setup, but you can do a lower boost setup on the cheep. If you want the 300kw (200rwkw) then pack a big wallet.

200kw at the flywheel now that is acheavable no probs, just keep in mind that you may have to decompress the engine if you plan to run 8psi. this can be done with low comp pistons or a decompression plate, it is just like an eatra head gasket. The first is the better method. You may also need a custom cam, a ecu I am using a heltech in mine.

check this site for a bit more info www.capa.com.au

I hope some of this helped
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:02   #6 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

Plus it depends on the dyno that you use to get kw & rwkw figures I am goin by the dyno and engine design software at PET in Thomastown
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:08   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

At 6Lp and 24 Lp injectors you wiil just get 200rwkwBut basically so long as turbo is big enough and compression is not too high. The injectors are what limits power to a point...
With std eec you can't use bigger injectors and boost must be under 6 Lp not so much for map won't work..But engine will run very lean...
A head off a ute helps as well as they're usually lower compression...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 21:41   #8 (permalink)

Maybe a toyota CT 26 off the old 3l supra's might be good they can only handle up to 12-14lb's of boost and are similar to a T04, the rear housing is interchangable with the T04 anyway. If you can find one it should only set you back 4-600 bucks. try to get the factory i/c, BOV and some piping with it, will help as these parts are already matched for each other (the BOV is usually set at 6-7psi as well)
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 21:53   #9 (permalink)

Jap import parts in Sydney have a ct26 for 300 bucks, if its in decent condition it's a bargain.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 23:40   #10 (permalink)
Fitted.....

how much boost would sandard injectors take?

Thanks toby
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O