Twin turbo 418ci - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 16:11   #1 (permalink)

Twin turbo 418ci

I am about to start a rebuild on my new motor and I was thinking about doing a twin turbo setup. At this point in time nothing has been decided yet and I am just after some good advice before I commit my self to the project. The motor will be going into an 1993 EB Fairmont and will be replacing my 302. This is a quick rundown on some of the parts that I am planing on using.

351 Windsor D4 block
Eagle Stroker Crank
Carillo Rods
Probe forgies (Was going to use JE but they don't have low comp pistons.
Total Seal Rings
King Bearings
1/2" Main Girdle with studs
AFR 225 Heads With Stainless Steel Race Valves
Hydraulic Roller Cam - Cam grind not decided yet but it will be mild
Compression will be around 9:1
Trick Flow R Intake Manifold With suitable injectors, fuel pump and maybe Vortech Fuel Rails if needed.
Custom Intercooler.
Autronic Engine Management

The turbos that I would like to use are Garett GT30 or GT35 units

The questions that I have are:

A. Is there any cutting of metal involved in the engine bay (eg shocker towers) or will the turbos fit without the engine bay modifications. I know this might be a dumb question but I really don't know how big or small these turbo units are since all the quotes and specs were over the phone or by email.

B. So far the best price I can get the turbos for is around $2600 each and I was wondering if this is a good price and if there is someone that can do a better deal preferably in Melbourne.

C. Anyone in Melbourne that can fabricate the exhaust manifold for me...I am more after quality and reasonable price then hunting for bargains and dodgy workmanship. I've read somewhere that someone has used 1966/67 mustang reverse mounted log style exhaust with a custom fitting to accommodate the turbos. Any suggestions?

D. Where is a good location for the turbos. I was thinking about removing the standard intake box and moving the battery to the boot and mounting the turbos there.

Money is and isn't an issue (I am willing to pay any reasonable price) as I will be doing this in stages since I am in no rush. I want to use all new parts so I don't really want to be tracking second hand turbos at the wreckers or importers...etc. The motor will be built first then I will do the turbos and intercooler followed by engine management, injectors, fuel pump(s) etc.

I am open to suggestions and any good and valuable advice will be appreciated. I would like to know if all the trouble will be worth it or not before I begin this project. At this point in time I don't really care about what bhp the motor will make and I have a self imposed bhp limit of 700bhp and 6000rpm maximum because that's as much as the stock block will take but in future If I get addicted to the power I might upgrade to Dart or SVO block.

Sorry about the big post.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 17:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Twin turbo 418ci

If you want to know if its worth it have a look at www.toohighpsi.com .This guy uses small 2nd hand turbos and still goes bloody fast.

Also there is an AU XR8 ute with twin turbos in Perth I think. There is an article of it in Zoom, try and find a back issue of it. The article should give you a good idea of part placement.

The GT35s aren't small turbos, I believe they are just slightly smaller than the unit on the BA XR6 turbo. Twin GT35s IMO are a little big for your power goal, they are rated around the 550hp mark each. With two of these at the right boost levels you may struggle to keep under 700hp!!

Last edited by not ford; 02-13-2004 at 17:37.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 17:53   #3 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Also check out the turbo mustang site. do a search on google for turbo mustangs and she will be near the top the list. Plenty people there would have done this just not with an EB. There is a list of people who sell kits as well with expected power output and details of turbos used.
It would be worth a look.

Oh and my GT30 flows 600hp. The GT35 can flow up to 700HP each. They are pretty big.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 18:05   #4 (permalink)

Thanx for the info so far...I am aware of the flow rates but what i need to know is their physical size and if they will be able to fit into my engine bay without me choping shocker towers and stuff like that. I want to be able to bring the car back to normal state if i ever decide to sell the motor. I don't want to be stuck with holes everywhere. Same goes with the intercooler fitting & plumbing.

As for the power goal there isnt one ....I am more interested in the way that the whole combo develops power then just plain old high end horspower. GT35's are rated up to 700bhp each which if i decide to upgrade the block in the future will be more then suficient for my needs without needing to upgrade them. I am not building this motor to win dyno comps. I want to do some drag racing & circuit racing in the future but I would also like to retain half decent idle and power delivery as i want to be able to drive the car on the street. That's why I also chose the 6000rpm limit.
Old 02-13-2004, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

If it would help I can measure my GT30 and give you the dimensions.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:32   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Whats your email address I'll send some pics of mine..

www.turbomustangs.com www.corral.net

Realy a T3/4 would be quite enough. Even the T3's flow 300 each any way and have intergrated wastgates..In some ways its easier to fit just one T76 in the aircleaner area with a crossover pipe...Even with 351 don't build power more than 700 h.p..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 18:36   #7 (permalink)

DansEdgli that would be good. I just need to know the rough measurements so that I know what I am dealing with.

ebxr8240 if you got some pics of yours please send them to rpm351ci@yahoo.com.au

At the moment my biggest concern is the location of the turbos. I don't mind relocating stuff in the engine bay if I have to but I really don't want to start chopping metal. The other question that I have is did you have to reinforce the car in any way.
Old 02-14-2004, 18:54   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

okay its roughly 22cm long from intake to opposite end, 24cm wide and 16cm high.
Mine is internally gated.
Old 02-14-2004, 19:42   #9 (permalink)

Thanx DansEdgli for the measurments...It would be good if the GT35's have internal wastegate because it would save me some $$ as I wouldn't have to buy external wastegates and it would reduce the amount of crap that I would have in the engine bay.

Also I've heard that some Mazda Rotary engines were fitted with T04 Turbos as standard? Does anyone know what year and Series are they? How much power do they flow and how obtainable are they? What is a reasnable price to pay for them?
Old 02-14-2004, 19:46   #10 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

No worries. You should be able to get them with internal gates. I think the GT35 is the one on the new XR6 and that has internal gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O