Vortech/Powerdyne/Whipple? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2005, 23:29   #1 (permalink)

Vortech/Powerdyne/Whipple?

Just wondering what brand of supercharger people have chosen to run and the reasons why they chose that particular brand or type of blower. I've been toying with the idea of supercharging my I6 wish it was a V8 :( EFII Fairmont with the intention of achieving around 240/250 rwkw and also making it a more driveable cruiser.

CAPA have a few centrifugal blower kits advertised on their site and I'm after some feedback from people who have purchased these kits on whether they are easy to install, whether they achieved respectable power figures, and if they encountered any reliability issues.

I'd also be interested to hear from people who have chosen a roots type blower such as a whipple and how they went about making or sourcing a suitable manifold.

Your help would be much appreciated
Anth
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2005, 01:05   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Vortech/Powerdyne/Whipple?

I went with a Vortech V2 blower on mine for the reason that tons of people use them, their quality seems to be very good and you can get decent boost out of them. I would stay away from Powerdyne because their internal belt design is a weak point, you can only really get 6-8psi max out of them which will only get you to the low 200rwkw mark.

As for the CAPA kits, they are easy to install because every last bit is included. A full install should take 2-3 days of work for the ordinary person, as long as you dont run into any little snags along the way.

Drivability is generally close to stock, idle to around 2500-3000rpm is just like stock then the boost starts to come in. Reliability should also be good as long as your engine is in good condition, I would always recommend a basic rebuild before installing a blower anyway.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Whipple is a better more efficient design over the Roots type...But for general street use the many sizes of centrifical Vortech is great..Easy to fit,can be pulled off anytime without too many signs it was blown...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16   #4 (permalink)

i got the V2 for the same reasons, i also like that it is all under bonet.
my sujestion is if u get an ea-ed kit . U can use el fans & if ur not nere capa find some one local for ur chip & tuning.
capa were exceptionly helpfull to me .
210rwkw 8 psi stock edxr8 engine, pacrmakers,gen3 cats 2 1/2 in to 3in strate through muffler & 3in out.
126rwkw when i got it & had a 2 1/2 fron the y back system put on for some sound LOL
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
ZK 351

i just bought a V2 S-trim, to put on my V8, should be interesting,
how much different is the noise from a V2 with the helical cut gears, as to that of the V1 with the straight cut??
cheers
Old 02-10-2005, 01:14   #6 (permalink)

The cut on the gears make a huge difference. Straight cut gears would whine very loud but the helical gears will still be audible..
Old 02-10-2005, 01:18   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I asked for for you here...

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...41#post4426041
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:48   #8 (permalink)
ZK 351

sweet, thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 20:15   #9 (permalink)

Waiting for CAPA to give me some feedback.. should be interesting!!
Old 02-11-2005, 20:30   #10 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Waiting for CAPA to give me some feedback.. should be interesting!!
I hope your not waiting for an email response because I don't think they ever look at their emails.

As for the V1 vs V2, I was going to get a V1 but I went and visited CAPA and one of the sales guys had a V1 on his car and they are loud. After hearing it I got the V2, it still has a very noticable whine at idle but far less than the V1.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Superchargers | Turbos | N2O