1/2 fixed the EF climate control - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 00:13   #1 (permalink)

1/2 fixed the EF climate control

ok i went down to the wreckers yesterday and bought myself a climate control modual. got home and fitted it. All the buttons work, and it does what it's meant to do (fan speed up, vent etc) but i still can't get any hot air or a/c through. after running a self test it came up with errors 2 and 5

can someone please tell when what these errors are?
Bounce Ferret! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 04:24   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: 1/2 fixed the EF climate control

2 blend door broken.
5 ambient sensor open circuit.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:42   #3 (permalink)

E2 blend door problem: generally this occurs when the blend door motor over-runs its contacts. The motor is similar to a wiper motor's self park mechanism, so that it knows it's present position. It can however, run just past it's contact points, and "open circuit" The correct Ford recommended procedure is to remove the entire heating A/C system from the vehicle, which then allows physical access to the blend door motor, located in a tight squeeze between the heater box and cowl panel :(

My car has had recurring problems with this, and I have found a shortcut to (temporarily) fixing it. Remove the dash facia panel, and unplug the climate control unit, get two small jump wires, and locate the 4 larger pin contacts in the loom plug. Connect one each of the 2 bottom contacts with one each of the 2 top contacts (opposing ends of the plug), switch on ignition for a second or 3. DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE UNIT STILL PLUGGED IN! You should hear the motor drive. If not, swap over one end of the jump wires, and try again. If you hear the motor drive while connected, switch everything off again, remove the jump wires and plug the climate control unit back in and see how it goes.
If you cant get the motor to drive by the above method, then it is probably the motor itself which is faulty.

I reckon it's worth a try before having the whole thing removed, which also involves degas/regas of A/C.

Carl.
Carlsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:05   #4 (permalink)

The instructions in the above post refer to the bigger of the 2 plugs on the CC unit by the way. Just trying to make things as clear and simple as possible.

Carl.
Old 03-16-2004, 23:48   #5 (permalink)

I just went down to Costanzo ford in bundoora (Melbourne) and they said $570 to install a new blend door motor.. i'm thinking just get them to do it and credit card it. but $570 is a crapload of money for a bloody little motor (probably the work involved to install it). even if it's the most basic problem, like a loose wire, they'll still charge me the whole amount (i hate ford service dealers)
is this a crazy price to pay or standard for ford?

ps . will they re-gas me air con too?
Old 03-17-2004, 00:16   #6 (permalink)

Certainly is the labour charge Ferret. Although that's pretty cheap, my local dealer wanted a smidge over $700 to do it. The job entails taking the entire dash out of the car before you can access the heater A/C box. Thats why I bought myself a manual and pulled it out myself first time, then studied the wiring diagram & 'discovered' the above mentioned shortcut. Have you tried the shortcut test above first? If it does work, might never happen again, and for a saving of $500+ I'd be giving it a go. No more difficult than replacing the control module, which you say you have done already.

Carl.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:26   #7 (permalink)

you dont have to remove the heater unit to replace the blend door motor. just remove dash, loosen heater unit (5 nuts on firewall, leave nuts on last threads). 4 screws hold blend door motor on to bracket. (you can get them off with long nose vise grips). locate new blend door motor on bracket. done a few this way from EA to EL.
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 13:00   #8 (permalink)

thanks carl

I'll give it a shot, hopfully it might "fix" it. as $500 would be a great help on my window regs (they are all starting to go and it's not cheap to buy new ones)

I'll let you know how it goes
Cheers!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsworld
E2 blend door problem: generally this occurs when the blend door motor over-runs its contacts. The motor is similar to a wiper motor's self park mechanism, so that it knows it's present position. It can however, run just past it's contact points, and "open circuit" The correct Ford recommended procedure is to remove the entire heating A/C system from the vehicle, which then allows physical access to the blend door motor, located in a tight squeeze between the heater box and cowl panel :(

My car has had recurring problems with this, and I have found a shortcut to (temporarily) fixing it. Remove the dash facia panel, and unplug the climate control unit, get two small jump wires, and locate the 4 larger pin contacts in the loom plug. Connect one each of the 2 bottom contacts with one each of the 2 top contacts (opposing ends of the plug), switch on ignition for a second or 3. DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE UNIT STILL PLUGGED IN! You should hear the motor drive. If not, swap over one end of the jump wires, and try again. If you hear the motor drive while connected, switch everything off again, remove the jump wires and plug the climate control unit back in and see how it goes.
If you cant get the motor to drive by the above method, then it is probably the motor itself which is faulty.

I reckon it's worth a try before having the whole thing removed, which also involves degas/regas of A/C.

Carl.
Hey dude i got this problem and its shitting me.... What you are saying is reversing the polatiry to the blend motor?? the 2 wires you refer to are these...
1 Dark Green / Red Blend Door Motor (Motor Line)
2 Dark Green / Dark Blue Blend Door Motor (Motor Line)
Im just crossing the wires???? please help dude..
steve351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:40   #10 (permalink)

this works!!!!!
steve351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU