Ford Forums banner

1967 Falcon Wagon Electrical Schematic or Diagram needed BADLY

17K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1967 Falcon Station Wagon that has been previously unloved severely as a project car for my stepson and I to play with. It is currently not running and in need of a full take apart and rebuild everything that bolts to anything else. Somebody previous to me has gone in and done horrible things to the wiring (and just about everything else) As I have always wanted a falcon since I first saw one many many many years ago I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get this one for basically towing it away. However, both Chilton and Haynes no longer offer manuals for this age of vehicle and I am in dire need of either a schematic or a wiring diagram so I can begin the process of getting the wiring back into order. (I think the reason why it won't start is in the ignition switch wiring to the solenoid---It previously had some 'universal' switch and what looked like old lamp cord running to the solenoid. I have obtained the correct ignition switch-solenoid-etc, I get lights and the engine turns over with the "screwdriver" jump but will not start up. Carb/ignition etc has been replaced as well. If anyone has a copy of a wiring schematic or a wiring diagram or both, I would greatly appreciate it.

#4 ·
outback_ute said:
Sorry I can't help you with a diagram, but have you tried secondhand book shops or motoring book shops to see if they have any ideas where you might track down a copy of a manual? If there is a relevant car club in your area they would likely be able to help you out also.

Actually I have. unless I want to spend 50.00 or so USD for the CD rom version on the Internet there isn't much available in my area of Virginia, This is a very big NASCAR area and falcons aren't in their vocabulary. In fact, there is really only one real auto parts store for about 75 miles or so. Everything else is an autozone, checker, or a pepboys. (if it isn't in their computer, they don't know what to do, the use of paper catalogs is just about a lost skill around here) The closest falcon club to me is philadelphia and they don't help non-members (I called)

#12 ·
streaksinthesk said:
just one question
if i was going to replace the wiring loom in a 67 falcon i could use anything from 66-85?

is this right of i could pretty much only use xr,xt,xw,xy looms
sorry for the ignorance i just wanna do the job right

mark
I just put an XF (1986) loom, column etc into my Fairlane:
http://www.ftw.com.au/cpg/displayimage.php?album=108&pid=2949&slideshow=5000

I am thinking of just using the XF column switches on the XY column this time around...

I'd suggest getting all the looms from a late model (1987 or so) Fairlane or LTD - then you'll have all the fancy stuff ready to go wired in...

#17 ·
streaksinthesk said:
does this include similar conectors and so on
or the connections need to be transferred from my old loom?
I transferred whole XF loom - column and all - it might be possible to fit the XF wiper & Indicator switches to XY column - investigating that soon...

#18 ·
im not quite sure i understand, sorry for being abit dim.
basically what i was looking at doing is transplating my old haggard xt wiring harness that is cut up and damaged with an new just stock as a rock wiring harness that is neat tidy and clean.

my question are:

Do i need to use an xr or xt wiring harness as it has all the relevant connections or can i use anything from say xr-xf?

if xr - xf are possible are all the connectors the same or will i need to modify all the connection to fit to the original xr-xt switches and controlls in the dash.

what price would be a good price for a wiring harness in decent condition for:

an xr-xt unmolested
or
a later model xb-xd wiring harness if they can be used?

thanks so much for your help i am abit of an ameteur at this but beileve i can do it as i pick this up fairly quick when given abit of background knowledge.

cheers

mark

#19 ·
You should seriously look at getting an XF Falcon to wreck - pull the harness out yourself, so you know how it goes together - you have to dismantle the whole dashboard to get the loom out.

There are connectors just inside the firewall on the XF loom to join the engine bay wiring to the dash panel wiring.

The XF engine bay loom rubber plug fits exactly in a ZC Fairlane, so I expect it would fit the same in a 67 wagon.

The XF dash panel wiring hangs beautifully on the original wiring hooks in the early model car - relay panel just hangs from the loom - fuse panel tucks up behind where ignition switch was.

Ignition switch, wiper switch, Hi-Lo Beam and horn are on the XF column.
If you use the XF column, they just connect with the XF plugs.

I cut up the XF switch binnacle and bolted a chunk of it to the dash with the Lights and Hazard light switches on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.