Ford Forums banner

1988 EA Trip Computer Installation

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AcidBurns 
G
#1 ·
I am just wondering if anyone might be able to advise me...i had a blank hole in my dash where a trip computer/clock is supposed to be in my 1988 EA S Pack Falcon Sedan.

So...to cut a long story short I bought a 2nd hand trip computer from the wreckers for $40...he said it would fit...anyhow I tried to plug it in and it appears that I have only 4 wires running from inside the dash...whereas this trip computer he gave me has pins for about 10 wires.

Anyhow, i took it back and he reckons that maybe the 4 wires are just for a clock...

Has anyone else got a trip computer for the ea, and do you know if its only got a connection for 4 wires or are there more?

Im thinking that maybe he has given me the wrong trip computer...

Regards

Rob

#2 ·
Hi there,

I think that you have it right - the Fairmont had a big clock there which must be what the wires are for. You will need to run additional wiring in order to make the trip computer operational. People here have done it and should be able to advise you further.

#3 ·
The Trip computer requires a different loom to what the clock uses. You will need the female portion of the connector to make it work, then run wires to the speedo, Fuel guage, ECU, power, Lights etc. Power and the lights can be grabbed from the clock wiring, but the others will have to be run from scratch... I don't have the pin numbers anymore... I hope somebody else can help you with that, coz I really don't want to pull my dash out again! ;)

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.